1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Does the Gallery drain your battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mario4117, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mario4117

mario4117 Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    I love this phone. My thing I would love to see improve is the battery life. I have tried many things and what seems to drain the battery the most is the Gallery. Is that happening to anyone else? Actually, can the Gallery drain your battery? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. FuzyBaffy

FuzyBaffy Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    It needs to make thumbnails of your pictures then it will stop. If you have a lot of pics (maybe mp3's too the media service handles both) it will be working to make thumbs for you to view in the gallery. It gets stuck if you put a ton of pics on there like I did and takes a couple of resets to get everything cataloged. I would open the gallery and charge the phone. Turn off couple of times and you should be set.

Whenever you go into gallery the busy circle thing shouldn't be running. You might have a bad pic it's stuck on. It won't do any additional work unless you take some pics.

3. bswann

bswann Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Insurance adjuster
    Mobile,AL
    Don't use the gallery. I use QuickPic ( free on the market ) it has options to select what folders/files to show. My gallery shows album art and other things I don't want to see so I just use QP.

4. Investor22

Investor22 Guest
    None
    You might be on to something about using the gallery. It seems anytime I click on it I end up having issues with the battery after that -like draining way to fast. I've got like 6k photos in my Picassa account. It does take a while to build the folders and images when I access it. I have syncing off. I thought that might take care of it but I guess not. I won't access it for a few days then see if it is the gallery that drains the phone faster after I access it.

5. mario4117

mario4117 Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    So I downloaded and installed Quick Pic and I like the app. But my gallery is still on my phone and running. How do I delete it complelty of my phone? Also, I do have about 300 songs on my phone, would that drain my battery as well? (not playing the songs, rather just having the songs on the phone and the gallery running).

6. Investor22

Investor22 Guest
    None
  7. bswann

bswann Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Insurance adjuster
    Mobile,AL
    You can look at the running processes and if it is running just stop it. The songs are not going to run your battery down but if the player is running that will and as with the gallery just stop the process. I opened my gallery and then went to my processes and it was not there but, I know PowerAmp will still run and I have to stop the process after I am done with it if I want to. As far as removing the gallery, that would be above my knowledge but, I would not try it as it might have adverse affects.

8. stargazer101

stargazer101 Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    I was not having a problem previously with Gallery draining the battery until I took a couple of pictures. Now, even though I have nothing in the gallery, it continues running. I've tried the force stop button but after charging during the night I see that it's on top of the list for battery usage the next day. I am very sorry this program ever activated as I was beginning to be quite happy with the battery life on my phone. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.
    PS - I'm new to smart phones so uninstalling the application puts me in not so comfortable territory at this time in my user life.....
    Thanks

9. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
    Lots of people seem to like QuickPic, and I saw somewhere that it can be set as the default instead of Gallery. I haven't tried it yet, so ymmv.

10. Jenny Z

Jenny Z Well-Known Member
    None

I was having the same problem with Gallery, and haven't had any problems since using Quickpic. When you're taking pictures, click the little "previous pic" box, and it'll give you the option to change your default.

duvallite likes this.
Tags: