• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the hotspot tie into unlimited data?

JnEricsonx

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2011
I still have unlimited data as I scored it back in May of 2011, but I'm trying to find out, if I get the hotspot plan, whatever, does it tie into my unlimited data, albeit at a cost of I believe 30 bucks a month, or if you pick and choose, 1 buck a day? Or no?

Doesn't it also depend if you are using a 3G or 4G phone? I have a Galaxy S3 with unlimited data and activate my Hotspot when we travel to visit my parents (for the kids to use their ipads, 5 hr drive) and turn it off when we get back, so about 4 days. It's about $1 a day or less with my corporate discount. I get unlimited hotspot with my 4G data plan, but sometimes I switch to my iphone 4s (only uses 3G) and when I try to activate my hotspot, it only gives me 2GB data for $30 (even though I have unlimited 3G also). I actually haven't activated my hotspot on the iphone because of this. Is this an iphone thing or 3G thing?

Upvote 0
Doesn't it also depend if you are using a 3G or 4G phone? I have a Galaxy S3 with unlimited data and activate my Hotspot when we travel to visit my parents (for the kids to use their ipads, 5 hr drive) and turn it off when we get back, so about 4 days. It's about $1 a day or less with my corporate discount. I get unlimited hotspot with my 4G data plan, but sometimes I switch to my iphone 4s (only uses 3G) and when I try to activate my hotspot, it only gives me 2GB data for $30 (even though I have unlimited 3G also). I actually haven't activated my hotspot on the iphone because of this. Is this an iphone thing or 3G thing?

Try installing FoxFi on your S3, you can then turn the phone in to a wifi hotspot or tether via bluetooth. No need to pay Verizon for the privledge of using your unlimited data. I paid 7.95 for the app and it works very well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones