• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Incredible support EMS (enhanced messaging)?

bbonox

Apr 25, 2010
Utah
In every dumbphone I've had on Verizon, if I sent a message to other people on Verizon and went past the 160 character limit, I could keep typing and it would send the message as one SMS (it might have counted for billing purposes as more, but the recipient only saw one message).

Ever since I've been using smartphones though (tbh, only Blackberry Curve 8330 and BB Tour), I haven't been able to do this -- it won't let me type at all past 160, and as far as I can tell there's been no way to change that.

Is that supported on the Incredible, natively or using a third party app like Handcent?

I tried posting yesterday but had lots of issues but here it is.

Yes it does. If you look as you type the text it counts down the characters you have left and has which text you are on ie: 160/1 once you get past the 160 the counter will change to 160/2. hope this helps can't think of how to explain this better. also the counter is right above the send button when in portrait and it is in the upper right hand corner of the screen in landscape.

Upvote 0
From my experience it will list multiple messages (one said 25/2 for remaining characters). In the user manual or verizons site it said something about charging for both messages but the end receiver only gets the first. I haven't asked the person I sent it to and since I read that i have just stuck to the 160 characters and then pasted the remaining text and sent it separately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones