• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Keyboard really become usable?

garment69

Android Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010
I used the droid for a couple of days and have been considering going back. One thing though I cant get over was the keyboard. Being so off center I found that I could not type as normal becuase my right thumb could not reach to the "yhn" row (middle of the keyboard). I know many have said you get used to it so this is my question. In getting used to it, does that mean you learned to hold the phone differently? Did you type more with your left thumb? In all honesty, I found the keyboard to be bad enough that I questioned weather its worth having it at all. In which case the Nexus might be a better alternative once it comes out on Verizon.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

I haven't had much issue getting used to the keyboard. Maybe it's b/c I have really big hands, so it being off-center doesn't bother me at all. I think it took less than a week for me to become proficient.

But, the on-screen keyboard is the same as on the Nexus, so you can still use the Droid with the keyboard closed and still have the option of using the real KB if needed.

Upvote 0
I've never found the keyboard to be unusable. The Droid is the first phone with a keyboard I've ever owned and I use the physical keyboard all the time.

When you are holding the phone you are able to get to the middle of the keyboard with your right thumb? Or have you started typing more with your left?

If this is the case I can understand it I guess. Over time you just re learn how to type. Its natural that anything from the "YHM" row is done with my right thumb.

Upvote 0
Keyboard's fine. Most complaints are user issues not hardware, IMO.

It's fine for some people, not for others. Not everyone has the same size hands, fingers or level of dexterity.

I have large hands, but find that the off center layout because of the DPad really takes away from my ability to use the keyboard. I only use it as a last resort, as it is uncomfortable for me.

It is usable, just not comfortable. And with time, you do adapt to it. But I use the soft keyboards most of the time.

Upvote 0
It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the keyboard but now find myself quite fluent with it and prefer it over the soft keyboard anytime. I find that if I type too fast on the soft keyboard that I will miss letters due to lack of multi-touch.

The phone does not lack multi-touch. It lacks applications that use multi touch stock.

The keyboards are not one of them.

Upvote 0
The phone does not lack multi-touch. It lacks applications that use multi touch stock.

The keyboards are not one of them.

I apologize for using the incorrect terminology. I was referring to not being able to press one letter on the keyboard without release, then press another letter, then release the first and then release the second, and have both letters register.

Upvote 0
Before I got this phone, I owned the LG Dare, so going to this phone was very easy in terms of using the soft keyboard. But the longer I have used this phone, the more I have gotten use to the physical keyboard. I have gotten to the point now that it is pretty much all that I use. At first, I believe I was like most in claiming that the physical keyboard was a complete waste, but now I am sure that it something that you just have to get use to. Seriously though, think back to when the first of the "all touch screen" devices started coming out. Everyone that I talked to said that they would never be able to use it. Now look around, pretty much everyone owns or has owned some sort of touch screen device.

What's great about the Droid is that you get a combination of both worlds.

Ben

Upvote 0
When you are holding the phone you are able to get to the middle of the keyboard with your right thumb? Or have you started typing more with your left?

If this is the case I can understand it I guess. Over time you just re learn how to type. Its natural that anything from the "YHM" row is done with my right thumb.

Yep, I can get to the middle of the keyboard with my right thumb with no problem. I have what I think are normal sized hands.

For the YHB column on the keyboard, I typically hit Y and B with my left thumb and H with my right.

I like the d-pad and I like having it on the right side.

I think the keyboard could have been designed better, but it is perfectly usable.

I am very picky about keyboards. The only keyboard I will use on a PC is an IBM Model M (the heavy clicky ones) from the late 80s - mid 90s.

Upvote 0
I've grown used to the soft keyboard then started using Swype. I don't even open up the hard-keyboard anymore. I do like the option if I need to see the whole screen, but rarely need it.

Same... My qwerty keyboard is getting sad... Though I found I can still type faster and have less mistakes with the big keyboard....

Upvote 0
keyboard isn't unusable. the distance to yhn definitely isn't an issue to me, maybe i just have long fingers.

for me the biggest complaint is the keys are flat and the keyboard is thin. I came from HTC titan and HTC apache, both of which had decent keyboards with curved keys and good spacing. On this one, I tend to hit 2 buttons at the same time and its annoying. And the distance in height to press the button is small so there's real feedback that the button has been pressed.

but i can say it is definitely more usable for me now that i have gotten used to it. At first I hated it and just didn't use it, then I started using it but just typing slower to start, and now I can type faster and I don't hate it. It's not awful, it's just not good either. I didn't let the keyboard stop me from buying the phone and I'm glad I didn't because I dig the phone a lot and there are 3 ways to input text to the thing anyway.

Upvote 0
I use all the different keyboards for different things. I like the swype portrait keyboard for quick texts, the android landscape one for longer messages (I probably use this the least), and the physical one if I need to type complicated passwords, fill out forms, or send long messages.
I like that the phone has all of them. I think the physical one is usable.

Upvote 0
Honestly don't remember the last time I used the physical keyboard...and that's one of the reasons I wanted this phone. I was always happy w/ BB's keyboards and convinced myself I had to have the physical keyboard.
I have been very happy with the touch screen keyboard.....especially since i finally got around to downloading Swype yesterday. I am really digging it so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones