• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the Samsung Galaxy i7500 need a scratch guard for the screen?

stephnd

Feb 6, 2010
india
I was wondering whether the galaxy needs a scratch guard? I haven't yet taken off the samsung screen film yet (lol). I have an ipod touch and I didnt find the need for a scratch guard or screen protective film. I also read that capacitive touch screens are made so as to have easy moving of the finger on the screen. So would a scratch guard reduce its performance? also If i didnt use one, would the screen get any scratches?

I'm in no position to really answer this (having got the phone barely 5 days ago), but I can tell you that I've not removed the screen protective film either.

It's a point I've been debating for some time now. Sliding my finder across the screen protection makes my finger feel 'smooth' (in a NOT nice way). But, I don't do it too often, so I'm leaving the protective film on.

Perhaps pointless, but even though I take care to protect the display, I've flashed the phone firmware 4-6 times so far. ;)

-chronodekar

Upvote 0
I did keep the original protective film on the screen for a long time until I got fed up and removed it. It's been like three months with no single scratch, although I always keep my galaxy inside the padded soft 'pouch' I bought for it.

I discarded the original pouch because of the problem of it being too tight an keeping the camera button always pressed. I'd dare to say that now my camera button uses to get stuck half-pressed because it gave way because of that case.

I won't bother with getting or applying any peotective film.

Upvote 0
I did keep the original protective film on the screen for a long time until I got fed up and removed it. It's been like three months with no single scratch, although I always keep my galaxy inside the padded soft 'pouch' I bought for it.

I discarded the original pouch because of the problem of it being too tight an keeping the camera button always pressed. I'd dare to say that now my camera button uses to get stuck half-pressed because it gave way because of that case.

I won't bother with getting or applying any protective film. It's difficult to apply them correctly without leaving bubbles or greasy patches...

Upvote 0
I kept the screen film for a while, then took it off.

I've been keeping my phone in my pocket, without any sort of protector. I tend to keep keys and such in the opposite pocket, but that's the only consideration I afford it. After about a year, I haven't got a single scratch on my screen (the back cover is another story, though).

When you remove the film...
- Screen clarity goes WAY up!
- Finger smudges become quite a bit less annoying, but they're still there of course.
- The screen becomes less 'slippery' making swipe motions a bit harder ... but only until you've 'greased up' the display, then it's the same as before.
(Note: to remove finger smudges, wipe the screen with the palm of your hand or wipe it with a clean cloth (cough your shirt cough) -- this does not exactly remove the grease but evens out the marks and thereby making them invisible).

Upvote 0
I came from a G1 and that screen was obviously glass.

To me, the galaxy screen feels plastic and would seem to not be as scratch resistant. it reminds me of my wifes old samsung eternity and that thing got brutalized. Scratches and cloudy wearing all over.

I didn't take a chance and installed a phantom skinz full body gaurd. (like zagg, but better in my opinion)

I feel much better about scratch protection and touch motion of screen feels same as without.

also the back protection cover is superb!

Upvote 0
The Galaxy screen is tempered glass. The amount of smudges it picks up and the glare really bothered me so I bought a matte screen cover that was meant for the iPhone and cut it to size, using the edges of the screen as a guide. It really reduces glares and smudges. An added bonus, the surface has much less friction so its easier to glide your finger across it. Disadvantage, screen covers do scratch, and its about time to replace this one.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy screen is tempered glass. The amount of smudges it picks up and the glare really bothered me so I bought a matte screen cover that was meant for the iPhone and cut it to size, using the edges of the screen as a guide. It really reduces glares and smudges. An added bonus, the surface has much less friction so its easier to glide your finger across it. Disadvantage, screen covers do scratch, and its about time to replace this one.

THIS is interesting. Tell me, is it easy to cut the iPhone screen cover to fit the i7500 ? Also, how does the phone look with it? (aesthetically)

-chronodekar

Upvote 0
THIS is interesting. Tell me, is it easy to cut the iPhone screen cover to fit the i7500 ? Also, how does the phone look with it? (aesthetically)

-chronodekar

Really easy, just stick the thing on the screen, and get a really sharp blade, such as new exacto knife. Angle the blade towards the center of the phone and just follow the glass edge. The hardest part is next to the keys, comes out looking great though, just be sure not to have fuzz in the air.

Upvote 0
I left the shipping 'protector' on it for a few weeks when I first got the phone. I intended to leave it on, but that idea went out of the window in the pub one night after a few sherberts.

The difference is screen quality without it is startling, it's -so- much better. I've no desire to fit an after-market protector for this reason now. That said, the phone lives in the (poxy Samsung-supplied) slip case when not in use, so it's well protected. I guess it comes down to usage; if you're a ham-fisted lummox with sandpaper for fingertips then a screen protector is probably a good idea, whereas if you're the sort of person who likes to be a little more careful with the several hundred pounds' worth of consumer electronic gadgetry in your pocket it's probably not worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones