• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the super AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S suffer from screen burn?

The reason I ask is my Desire has suffered from screen burn, but wasn't sure as the Galaxy S has a super AMOLED screen if too would suffer the same fate.

Yeah the "super" bit is more to do with the internal layout of the display and doesn't in itself help with the problem of LEDs wearing out :(
I suppose it's too early to tell yet if the materials this particular screen is made from is going to help with screen life - we can hope :)

What will make the most difference is the brightness of the screen, if you can accept keeping the screen dimmer then the individual LED pixels will last longer and "screen burn" will take longer to become noticeable.

Edit: Forgot to say that although Samsung is using an adaptive drive technology which compensates for LED wear, it doesn't prevent wear.
So at some point "screen burn" will happen, it's just how long it takes.
How long do you plan to have your phone? :) :)

Upvote 0
Yeah the "super" bit is more to do with the internal layout of the display and doesn't in itself help with the problem of LEDs wearing out :(
I suppose it's too early to tell yet if the materials this particular screen is made from is going to help with screen life - we can hope :)

What will make the most difference is the brightness of the screen, if you can accept keeping the screen dimmer then the individual LED pixels will last longer and "screen burn" will take longer to become noticeable.

Edit: Forgot to say that although Samsung is using an adaptive drive technology which compensates for LED wear, it doesn't prevent wear.
So at some point "screen burn" will happen, it's just how long it takes.
How long do you plan to have your phone? :) :)

At least a couple of years.

Upvote 0
I often have the same thing on the screen without any screen time out for up to three hours at a time when using sat nav. The brightness is at max to allow me to see it in daylight and I can see no trace of screen burn. It may be possible but is not happening on mine at least.

Upvote 0
Yes, it does. Mine has a qwerty keyboard burnt into the screen (from the Messaging app).

All I can do is ignore it.

I too have the qwerty keyboard burnt into my old galaxy s screen, and now im gettjn it on my galaxy s2, its only slight on my galaxy s2 but ive only had it for about 3 months now, i hope it dnt get as bad as my old galaxy s :-(

They really need to sort this prob out or ppl wont be goin for amoled screens, its a shame coz i love amoled, i have since i got my omnia hd

Upvote 0
Bumping this old thread:

Just started to notice faint screen burn on Galaxy S. Only really visible on solid colours, not noticeable otherwise. It's at the top in the notifications area, can see shadows of the clock, battery and signal strength. Nothing to worry about yet though. Phone is coming on for two years old though, will probably replace it at end of year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones