• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

does the unlocked version support 3g on at&t

Corbinho

May 7, 2010
i have seen many threads about this and articles about it all over, but i keep reading conflicting reports. I saw the white version supports 3g, but on some forums i read that this doesn't support 3g on at&t.

Can someone just give me a straight answer, if I buy an unlocked black version, will i be able to use 3g data?

i have seen many threads about this and articles about it all over, but i keep reading conflicting reports. I saw the white version supports 3g, but on some forums i read that this doesn't support 3g on at&t.

Can someone just give me a straight answer, if I buy an unlocked black version, will i be able to use 3g data?

You can also buy it from NewEgg.com. That is where I got mine. Negri has both the white and black though.

Upvote 0

As already stated, the AT&T model uses different frequencies for 3G so the T-Mobile version will not work. Colour is not the issue, the radio frequencies are.

And another source is the Canadian market where the Nexus S for Rogers, Bell, Fido, Telus, and Koodo, are all the same as the AT&T version and would be compatible. All Nexus S phones are sold unlocked, so they would work fine with any compatible carriers' network out of the box.

Upvote 0
What you want is the i9020a...at least, that's what the internet will tell you. Read my reviews at Newegg and Amazon for that exact model. 3g was a no-go. It registered on the 3g network, showed 3g, showed HSPA in settings, but the speeds were so slow. Two different models, two brand new sim cards. Nothing would give me 3g speeds. The i9020a Amazon and Newegg sell is identical as the one from Negeri...the i9020a that was produced and intended for Rogers in Canada.

I don't know what the hell the issue was, but for the life of me in a heavily 3g covered area, I got slower than EDGE speeds and very unreliable data connections. Neither worked reliably for me.

I'd be very curious fo your or others' experience from purchasing the i9020a from Amazon / Newegg. I simply don't buy the fact that they work on AT&T 3g. Period.

That said, what is (if any) the difference from the Negeri i9020a and the Newegg / Amazon i9020a? I mean, as far as I can tell, they are the identical model, but some how everyone seems to glow about the over-priced Negeri one (which is cheaper elsewhere).

Anyone??

Upvote 0
What you want is the i9020a...at least, that's what the internet will tell you. Read my reviews at Newegg and Amazon for that exact model. 3g was a no-go. It registered on the 3g network, showed 3g, showed HSPA in settings, but the speeds were so slow. Two different models, two brand new sim cards. Nothing would give me 3g speeds. The i9020a Amazon and Newegg sell is identical as the one from Negeri...the i9020a that was produced and intended for Rogers in Canada.

I don't know what the hell the issue was, but for the life of me in a heavily 3g covered area, I got slower than EDGE speeds and very unreliable data connections. Neither worked reliably for me.

I'd be very curious fo your or others' experience from purchasing the i9020a from Amazon / Newegg. I simply don't buy the fact that they work on AT&T 3g. Period.

That said, what is (if any) the difference from the Negeri i9020a and the Newegg / Amazon i9020a? I mean, as far as I can tell, they are the identical model, but some how everyone seems to glow about the over-priced Negeri one (which is cheaper elsewhere).

Anyone??

i have the white one from i got from negri and my downloads on AT&T are 1.5-3.5 mbps...my downloads are the problem, .25-.39 mbps.
But the downloads are 3g. It doesn't effect my browsing or google navigation in anyway.
just my 2 cents...i still like it better than the atrix which uploads around 1.25-2 mbps. Downloads about the same as the nexus s.

Upvote 0
i9020A from Negri. New AT&T SIM (because I PUK locked my original from my RAZR when fiddling with the security settings... and didn't know about the unlock code...AT&T just said go to the store and get a new one for free) Just tested on 3G with Speedtest and got 2.37Mbs Down, 200kbps Up, and a horrible ping of 465ms. 3G is working here it seems.

P

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones