• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the US discriminate against Huawei (a moved discussion)

Huewai and ZTE just order 100 million MSM7227's and hack together phones
Qualcomm would make little percentage profit

Well, I wonder how the licensing works, tho. If they're fabbing the chips themselves, then definitely they're paying QC - if they're buying from a QC licensee, do they invoice for QC licensing separately?

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to ignore it. I thought I did address that. I don't think they are a security threat at all. I think this is all politics, basically. JMHO LOL

As for if Huawei could be transparent I don't really know. They did open their doors. However, now they have backed down. I do find it difficult to believe that there is any company that big anywhere that has NO ties to the government. I think that just because the founder was once in the Chinese military is basically lame.

No, I have never been to Shanghai but I've been to Albuquerque. :)

Have you? (been to Shanghai?)

I've been to Canan and I want to go back again

Bob

Upvote 0
Well, I wonder how the licensing works, tho. If they're fabbing the chips themselves, then definitely they're paying QC - if they're buying from a QC licensee, do they invoice for QC licensing separately?

i'd suspect a company as huge as ZTE might do it themselves.. i have no idea tho

however ZTE ones seem to be crapper - i'd bet its there own handywork :D

Upvote 0
That kind of stuff plus this:

"2008 Military Report to the Congress,[50] Pentagon stated that Huawei "maintains close ties" to Chinese People Liberation Army (PLA)"

And i think the government thinks these aren't the type of people that should have access to sensitive government networks.

Doesn't any major corporation with defence contracts keep close connections and ties their clients, namely the military? Whether they be UK, US, Chinese, Japanese, French, whatever. e.g. Boeing, Raytheon, Huawei, BAE Systems, Matra Marconi, Airbus and Rockwell Collins to name a few.

Upvote 0
I was in a training class at work and someone brought up the Huawei thing. The anti-Chinese stuff that started being spouted made me cringe. I'm Chinese myself and wanted to crawl under the table and hide.
That sucks. Hopefully most people would be able to discern between the Chinese people and the Chinese government.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones