• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does this annoy you fellow Connect owners?

Its really a opinionated statement no matter what. You guys are talking like its a fact that the connect is ugly -__- .. I Like the design. Its really preference ... as for the bus analogy. The only way I would say it worked is. The connect bus was just as pretty to certain people but fit less people, no air conditioning(zv8), was faster, smoother ride and hadbrighter headlights. The esteem bus would be bigger, more custom versions of said bus and with a HDMI port on the side. :p lol .... I'd like to ride both buses. I just preferred the connect... btw the point of this thread was what justified metro to do the price difference..

Upvote 0
that's the point I got.

People have seen ESTEEM thrown around for a while. They see the screen size and like the name.
Then they see the fact that it's more expensive and they buy it.
(Speaking from a Miami perspective here.) Expensive means it's better quality, expensive means I have more money and in turn prestige. Expensive means I'm better than you.

These are the consumers that metro is looking for with this.

Tech savvy consumers will see the backwards reasoning behind making the more advanced phone cheaper.
Most see smart phones as bling.

Your reasoning is weird and absurd. I would be happy if Esteem was cheaper than Connect. Following your logic, I should have bought Attain when Esteem came out, because I wanted to be better.

"Expensive means I'm better than you" What the heck are you talking about? MetroPCS is for poor folks mostly anyway. If you want to go for expensive, get yourself an iPhone on Verizon or AT&T or Samsung SIII.

Smartphones as bling? In your world, I guess. For most people I know, smartphone is a communication device and a tool. Esteem looks like a solid phone not like a bling.

There is nothing backwards about it. Which phone is better depends on the user preferences, and you can find it cheaper than $379.

Don't be such a hater. If someone likes Esteem, it is their choice, and it is unlikely that they bought it because they want to be better than you. If you are on Metro, it probably doesn't take much to be better than you financially anyway.

I stop responding to this useless thread. Why the heck is someone with an LG Connect is so concerned that LG Esteem is more expensive?

Upvote 0
See Spike, if it were looks, you could get a cover or case,... and have not only the prettiest handset, but also one of the most powerful.

I personally don't use a cover, case, whatever,... I like the look. Alot of reviews have said the same as you have.... looks cheap. Thats fine by me, because,.... it's what's under the hood that counts, if you want performance.
'
Like, high speed internet, phone, voicemail,messaging, email, alerts,, video player/recorder/editor, camera, videochat, games, music, tv, movies, navigation,...... am I missing anything? This takes a powerful machine to do all this reasonably well.

Upvote 0
Your reasoning is weird and absurd. I would be happy if Esteem was cheaper than Connect. Following your logic, I should have bought Attain when Esteem came out, because I wanted to be better.

"Expensive means I'm better than you" What the heck are you talking about? MetroPCS is for poor folks mostly anyway. If you want to go for expensive, get yourself an iPhone on Verizon or AT&T or Samsung SIII.

Smartphones as bling? In your world, I guess. For most people I know, smartphone is a communication device and a tool. Esteem looks like a solid phone not like a bling.

I stop responding to this useless thread. Why the heck is someone with an LG Connect is so concerned that LG Esteem is more expensive?

You, my good friend, obviously don't understand how status works in Miami.... think about it. People pay an extra 40-100 for pants that are pre ripped and faded, not because they want ripped, bleached, and essentially destroyed pants, but because they cost more and give them a self perceived staus boost.

Welcome to the herd mentality of a materialistic society.

Upvote 0
Everyone , Please stop! Some people like to show of well designed phones like the Esteem if they want , some like to have a performance phone to hack it and root it and put Roms on it , Fact is , Not everyone in this world knows a "Droid" is a android , not everyone reads the specs , Some people are like , Who cares? Some people want the better screen because of big fingers or they don't even need it alot!

It depends on you! You know what you want! Fast and cheap! Big and expensive (but looks kind of nice) It depends all on you! Now , Don't go to to someone else and say "Hey the connect is better" even though they know what design and size they want! Let the people decide what they want , I myself , Like a well designed phone (The connect 4g is good enough , just nothing MEGA CHEAP) so for me the connect is good (I like the esteem's design but not the button layout on sides) and the size of the esteem is too small for me (I don't have big fingers but I want something like the Dell Streak or the HTC Titan) But I do Root SOME phones and etc so I guess I would get the connect (Note - I will not root the Connect when I get it , Don't fix what is not broken)

Reactions: Tokenpoke
Upvote 0
Both these phones were the same price when they debuted so who cares? Tons of people complained about constant random reboots with the Esteem. They both had their bugs.

What I don't get is those people who say they don't like a phone because I feels cheap. How is that relevant? I would think people would be more concerned with the phone's performance rather than if it feels cheap. I don't know, I just don't get that and reviewers of phones will seriously take points away from a phone for this aspect.

Upvote 0
When I bought my connect, it was a $100 more than the esteem. And I had no problem in making my choice, cause simply put, I wanted the better phone. And I'm happy with it. To me, it was a no brainer. And it's not like I'm upset the price went down on the connect. Cause in time that is always the case.

But what Metro is doing with the Esteem seems wrong. I just don't like what they are trying to pull. It's like they're trying to take advantage of people's preferences or something else,..... like their knowledge of handsets. To me this is Very shady.

Almost as if it was a tourists trap. And to think that they believe they will profit from it, says little about us Metro customers. Frankly, I'm appalled by this type of business.

And Mex, if you buy the Connect, there's no way your Esteem will be your main phone. Highly unlikely.

The LG Connect with a few modifications, is right up there with the top handsets out right now.

The connect was never more than the Esteem. They were both priced the same, $299, but this was when the Connect first came out. After that the Esteem went up. This is from metro, not some cheap 2nd rate company selling refurbished phones as "new" phones.

Upvote 0
All I'm gonna say are you "Connecters" really complaining cause your phone is cheaper? Seriously? Since when does the phone you carry bargain which side of the argument you are on? This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen!!!!!!!

Do you see a thread made on the Esteem side about US complaining that there are cheaper 4G phones on Metro? NO. Why? Because we are HAPPY WITH WHAT WE GOT. Obviously you people aren't happy with what you have because all you do is complain about the Esteem. I hate to say it but its textbook jealousy. Someone has something better so you try to dumb it down. It happens with everything in life.

And to think I was going to help Shiny in porting over some of the stuff we have because y'alls forum looks like a ghost town. Nah, I think I'll put my time into my phone.

Upvote 0
Actually I played with my friends connect for a day and I liked it but I still prefered my esteem. HDMI? Don't really need it. LED notifications? Could go both ways for me. After I played with it I still went back for my esteem. Again its all user preference. I like the connect but I still prefer my esteem.

Well put ;)

Upvote 0
I'm not upset that I got a great deal, I'm upset that metro is taking advantage of less tech savvy buyers by making an older (thus more well known and popular) handset more expensive to play on the consumer feeling of "expensive is better" and cheating people who think they are getting more than they really are.

I personally like both phones but I'm not paying an extra $100 on what honestly is a technologically inferior product.
I'm sorry if you don't like the reality of it but 2 years makes a huge difference when it comes to handsets,tablets and computers. As technology advances and we make lighter, more durable plastics and glass phones get slimmer and lighter. If that feels cheap to you then it's gonna suck for you in two more years when cells will be 10% lighter and up to 100% faster (based on past trends in advancement) and they will all feel like an attain or connect or possibly even lighter and thinner.

I'm not trying to hate, I just explained the facts.

The esteem is a good phone, it's just on the verge of retirement (who still owns and uses the galaxy indulge because they think it's still superior?) For a handset. I chose the connect due to it's light and slim design because I work in trees and can't get a larger device out of my pocket without removing my harness. I also chose it because it has a much more powerful chipset and processor.

Oh, and because they jacked up the price of the esteem....

Upvote 0
I'm not upset that I got a great deal, I'm upset that metro is taking advantage of less tech savvy buyers by making an older (thus more well known and popular) handset more expensive to play on the consumer feeling of "expensive is better" and cheating people who think they are getting more than they really are.

I personally like both phones but I'm not paying an extra $100 on what honestly is a technologically inferior product.
I'm sorry if you don't like the reality of it but 2 years makes a huge difference when it comes to handsets,tablets and computers. As technology advances and we make lighter, more durable plastics and glass phones get slimmer and lighter. If that feels cheap to you then it's gonna suck for you in two more years when cells will be 10% lighter and up to 100% faster (based on past trends in advancement) and they will all feel like an attain or connect or possibly even lighter and thinner.

I'm not trying to hate, I just explained the facts.

The esteem is a good phone, it's just on the verge of retirement (who still owns and uses the galaxy indulge because they think it's still superior?) For a handset. I chose the connect due to it's light and slim design because I work in trees and can't get a larger device out of my pocket without removing my harness. I also chose it because it has a much more powerful chipset and processor.

Oh, and because they jacked up the price of the esteem....

If you had the choice of an Esteem for $190 when it first came out but is 1 month old or a Connect , which wasn't out then but still, for $299 when it first came out, what would you have chosen? Wager in the development on here for both phones as well.

I got my Esteem for $190, 1 month old. So the price of the phone means nothing to me. Im always going to find that loop hole of NOT paying full price. That ish is for the birds.

So for ME, $190 or an Esteem is worth more to me than $299 for a Connect. Make sense?

And to be honest with you, until Metro comes out with something that is far superior to any phone the have now, I will be an Esteem user NO MATTER how old it is. If it works it works no matter if its out dated or not. And a year and a half is only outdated in the consumer electronics phone market. CRT TV's are outdated ;)

Reactions: Spike15
Upvote 0
Your not understanding the core point of this thread lol..... its was to figure out what justified metro for selling it for so much more! Of course I think my phones better but there's no need to argue.

I fully understand the core point of this thread, I can read. But the core point of this thread has nothing to do with the people complaining about another phone. If they think their phone is superior then why complain about anything in the first place? Who cares what Metro does? Would it change anything if the prices were different? No.

Upvote 0
I fully understand the core point of this thread, I can read. But the core point of this thread has nothing to do with the people complaining about another phone. If they think their phone is superior then why complain about anything in the first place? Who cares what Metro does? Would it change anything if the prices were different? No.

He does have a point, I personally believe that even if both phones were equally priced, I think the esteem would still be outselling the connect. I think that's one reason metro jacked up the price of the esteem to curve more buyers to the connect. It's just a guess though.

Upvote 0
If you had the choice of an Esteem for $190 when it first came out but is 1 month old or a Connect , which wasn't out then but still, for $299 when it first came out, what would you have chosen? Wager in the development on here for both phones as well.

I got my Esteem for $190, 1 month old. So the price of the phone means nothing to me. Im always going to find that loop hole of NOT paying full price. That ish is for the birds.

So for ME, $190 or an Esteem is worth more to me than $299 for a Connect. Make sense?

And to be honest with you, until Metro comes out with something that is far superior to any phone the have now, I will be an Esteem user NO MATTER how old it is. If it works it works no matter if its out dated or not. And a year and a half is only outdated in the consumer electronics phone market. CRT TV's are outdated ;)

I'd choose the connect, sorry....
Not based on price, based on the technology inside.

Lol, I have crt tellies in my house.

Upvote 0
I'd choose the connect, sorry....
Not based on price, based on the technology inside.

Lol, I have crt tellies in my house.

haha. I still had 1 that I got in 1992 up until recently. I had to retire it. But that was one of the best damn TV's I've ever owned. haha

I understand your decision. It's all about the user and what THEY will use the phone for. The dual core and 1G of RAM doesn't really matter to me because I try and not use apps if I dont have to. I just go to the site. Apps are convenient and nice but I just prefer using the web sites because usually they have the full settings of the site where as the apps are only the basics needed to use it. And I dont play games. So 512mb and a 2.1 Mhz OC'd processor (If needed) is plenty for what I do.

Me personally, screen size, display, build quality, data speed and battery life are the things that count most for me. But again, that's what works for me. :D

Arguing opinions always ends with no resolution. It's something that goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and doesn't end. :D

Upvote 0
haha. I still had 1 that I got in 1992 up until recently. I had to retire it. But that was one of the best damn TV's I've ever owned. haha

I understand your decision. It's all about the user and what THEY will use the phone for....

Arguing opinions always ends with no resolution. It's something that goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and doesn't end. :D

Lol, my main TV was bought with insurance money from Andrew.

Lol, I know all about arguing opinions, I like to stir The pot when I'm sure it wont become a huge flame war.
I like reading arguments and debates, see how individuals think.

Just in this thread I have found,what? Three days of amusement and a better idea of exactly who is in these two sections of the phamily.

I don't mean to offend too deeply with my comments, I just make observations of the people I run into at the metro store in one city, in one state and use them to base my opinion on metro's reasoning behind the price drop/raise according to the aspect of society we have in one small part of America.

In short I'm arguing a point just to argue... did nobody else enjoy a good debate class? Well this is like being in a middle school debate... you know, when opinion matters more than facts or evidence and the debate can easily be swayed either way.

Sorry if my actions may have a negative impact, but I'm constantly convincing myself that users on here are mature enough to argue without flaming

Upvote 0
Lol, my main TV was bought with insurance money from Andrew.

Lol, I know all about arguing opinions, I like to stir The pot when I'm sure it wont become a huge flame war.
I like reading arguments and debates, see how individuals think.

Just in this thread I have found,what? Three days of amusement and a better idea of exactly who is in these two sections of the phamily.

I don't mean to offend too deeply with my comments, I just make observations of the people I run into at the metro store in one city, in one state and use them to base my opinion on metro's reasoning behind the price drop/raise according to the aspect of society we have in one small part of America.

In short I'm arguing a point just to argue... did nobody else enjoy a good debate class? Well this is like being in a middle school debate... you know, when opinion matters more than facts or evidence and the debate can easily be swayed either way.

Sorry if my actions may have a negative impact, but I'm constantly convincing myself that users on here are mature enough to argue without flaming

I agree totally. It's hard to have a debate on here though being that the rules and guidelines are so strict. But I like it that way. Keeps all the nonsense and useless garbage out.

Upvote 0
Dropped my connect 4g almost 50 times. (yes I've counted) It may feel cheap, but the 4' nova screen with gorilla glass coating takes a beating. I dropped a brand new esteem once and it was capoot. Hardware on the connect is better, sound quality is better and it just runs better overall. Except for the battery life and the lack of current development, the connect 4g is a decent if not always stable smart-phone.

Upvote 0
Dropped my connect 4g almost 50 times. (yes I've counted) It may feel cheap, but the 4' nova screen with gorilla glass coating takes a beating. I dropped a brand new esteem once and it was capoot. Hardware on the connect is better, sound quality is better and it just runs better overall. Except for the battery life and the lack of current development, the connect 4g is a decent if not always stable smart-phone.

I just told my gf yesterday how much better the sound quality was when i pipe music through my car with this phone than the admire. Man was I missing out. Oh and imo the camera in this phone is top notch too, takes amazing pics compared to every other android ive had.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones