• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does this handset have an HDMI Jack? [Uses an MHL port. Video inside to explain for newcomers]

Does the Evo 4G LTE have an HDMI jack? I've watched all of the pre-release videos online and I can't be sure either way. Thanks.

It uses what's called MHL technology. Basically, the micro usb port doubles as an hdmi output. There exists adapters that will link the micro usb to the Micro hdmi cords. No worries for this phone and hdmi out though :)

Upvote 0
Since the ops question has been answered and to keep clutter down in this forum, I will close this thread.

To those who are new to the EVO and to MHL ports in general on handsets, here is a video that speaks about MHL and its uses. its about a year old now but the tech is still the same.

Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) - YouTube

Upvote 0
I tried to get some feed back in the One X thread but no luv from those guys :( I instead found this video demo of a One X wit a MHL adapter indeed performing full mirroring to a HDTV screen. I knew this was a sticking point for us OG EVO owners as it was a bit of a pain to enable full hdmi/mirroring on our handset. If anyone can find a video showing a One X streaming things like a movie, Hulu, Netflix to a HDTV that would be awesome. I am pretty sure if the One X can do it our LTEVO's should. Enjoy the Vid.

HTC One X & HTC AC M490 MHL HDTV Adapter Demonstration - YouTube

Upvote 0
Sorry I missed your question there, I answered it with a video a few weeks ago.

Yes, it does have full mirroring, as you found.

I don't believe that any phone can do mirroring via DLNA, that's not how that standard works, but this does feature wireless HDMI via their media link device.
All of the top HTC phones include DLNA and MHL.

DLNA is simply a file server and client - your phone serves media files, your TV DLNA client displays or plays them.

That thing everyone calls a micro-USB port on your phone isn't, it's an MHL port Mobile HD Link. It can act like micro-USB, connect audio and video directly to an MHL equipped TV, or with a powered adapter, convert MHL to HDMI.

How to connect an Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) Cable - Demo - YouTube

Finally, you can stream HDMI wirelessly, a fairly popular high-end option in the HDTV world, and yes, the priciest.

The advantage of the HD connection over DLNA is that you can show more than just media files.

MHL adapter, US$10 - For only $8.82 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro USB to HDMI

Upvote 0
Agreed. Until about a month ago, I had no idea this tech existed. Obviously I'm not keeping up!

I had searched the forum MHL but hadn't found. Was surprised no one had been talking about it.

I do have the Media Link HD, but, like most other folks, can't have enough gadgets. Not to mention, this method doesn't require secondary power like the Media Link does.

Too bad they appear to require their own power source.

I have never used MHL. How is the quality? Anyone have a recommended device?

Upvote 0
... I have never used MHL. How is the quality? ...

The quality on the TV screen is good (my TV says 720p), the handling is easy and the stability of the function is unshakeable :) ... but there are these cables ... ;)

With the MHL adapter you can't have multitasking while a video is running, like with the Media Link HD (read your emails on the phone while the video is running on the TV screen).
But on the ML you can do this only when you use the stock gallery ... and the stock player can't so much formats like third party video player.
So, MHL and Media Link, both does a good job with mirroring videos from the phone's screen to the TV's screen :)

Reading on the box of the Media Link says the ML should put 1080p out to the TV. My TV says this too.
But when it comes to videos, the ML can't stream a 1080p's video on the TV, such a video will be scaled to 720p.
It isn't my own experience (I'm not so smart with videos :D ), I read this 1080p issue on the One X's help (Q&A) on the German HTC site. Weird, on HTC's international site I didn't found that question ;)

Harry

Upvote 0
So I picked up an MHL adaptor to run the video output from the phone to a HDMI TV. The adaptors are common on ebay, running under $10. This is the exact one I got:
Micro USB MHL to HDMI Cable Adapter HDTVfor HTC EVO 3D Flyer G14 Galaxy S2 i9100 | eBay

Received it quickly via USPS first class.

376510_10151884061515370_898236058_n.jpg

The adaptor itself seems to be of fine build quality. Ports are tight and the signal seems to pass through fine. I am still learning how to use it so I am not sure what I'm looking at just yet.

I connected it to a LCD monitor through a HDMI to DVI cable.

392888_10151884144255370_1463834774_n.jpg

First thing to know is that you must have power coming in to the micro USB on the adaptor to activate the MHL output. It seems to automatically detect that condition and activate. As you an see, it mirrors all activity on the phone screen. Resolution looks a little blocky, it has to upsample for this monitor, I'm not sure that explains everything. I don't know whether it's getting the full resolution out that it's supposed to.

541737_10151884163775370_537053294_n.jpg

I tried to play a few videos. Several of them did not seem to work, I think hardware accelerated videos seem to struggle. I have not tested extensively enough to determine exactly which are having problems or not. I did have this one that seemed to play fine, it may be playing on software rendering via Rockplayer. I can't say for sure, so I will update once my testing is done. I also was not able to test sound since it was an adaptor cable.

But so far, in general, MHL is a go on the Evo LTE, yet another Android advantage.

Upvote 0
My TV reports that it's seeing a 1080p feed when I go straight HDMI. Maybe try a hot swap, in and out of phone while in use to see.

Garrr, I just don't remember my DVI signaling off the top of my head, I will have to look it up. HDMI is essentially digital only DVI plus digital sound, I think that the video handshake negotiations could be the same.

I was watching a movie this evening and got a phone call, it muted sound out that port, pretty cool.

You can find headphone to stereo RCA pairs on Amazon, to get copper stereo with your DVI, it might work.

I got my adapter from monoprice.com, I think they're around $10 as well.

Sounds like you are on your way. :)

Maybe check your DVI input setup on your TV. On my other one like that, you have to tell it that it's ok to get higher resolution signals, just a thought. Let us all know.

Congratulations on the new kit! :)

PS, I get good luck with moboplayer.

Upvote 0
A little followup, connected via a normal HDMI cable to a TV and it worked better. Output was 720p, full screen resolution. I played the videos that I had trouble with earlier and they played fine. Great!

Sound via HDMI worked too, but it was a little bit quiet. Had to turn up the TV quite a bit. Not a huge problem except that it amplifies signal noise.

Not sure how to get 1080 out of it, any thoughts?

Upvote 0
A little followup, connected via a normal HDMI cable to a TV and it worked better. Output was 720p, full screen resolution. I played the videos that I had trouble with earlier and they played fine. Great!

Sound via HDMI worked too, but it was a little bit quiet. Had to turn up the TV quite a bit. Not a huge problem except that it amplifies signal noise.

Not sure how to get 1080 out of it, any thoughts?

Sounds like you are either having an HDMI negotiation problem, wonky HDMI cable, or wonky adapter.

It should be at 1080p with clear sound for most things (source needs to be good). Also note that your media volume affects sound out of the port, it's not fixed like a set top box. You may need to turn it up.

As for negotiation, assume that your TV is native 1080p, not 720p but 1080p compatible. If the latter, it's working fine.

Otherwise, look into the adapter's HDMI port and into the uUSB connector, a flashlight and magnifying glass will help. Look for anything funny on the wires.

Start there.

That or I'm the lucky one somehow, earlier in this thread, 720p was reported as common.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
@dr g,

if this is an off brand mhl adapter, this could be the reason you are seeing less that optimum results.

Ive an authentic (mhl consortium approved) mhl adapter held over from the EVO 3D days, in addition to the wireless media link HD. If you want to compare notes, pick a video from youtube or netflix or some place that's common to us both. i can test things with the mhl adapter i use and the media link if you care and report back my results.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Fabulous idea. Let's all go for the one Neoterix showed us when he went with HDMI on the EVO back in the day.

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

I'm going for the mp4, an avi file requiring software decoding, in 1080p via Moboplayer.

Warning, I forgot the exact size, but it's going to big, maybe 1.2 GB, I'm downloading now via Boat Browser.

Marctronixx, let me know what you think.

Should be a good stress test.

Upvote 0
im using ICS+ browser and and downloading the first link under the mp4. coming for Italy. :D

That's the one I did. :) Size is ~886 MB.

I found that the MX Player did a much better job than Moboplayer, I was surprised. I think I remember Harry recommended MX recently in an Applications thread. It didn't have sound dropouts for me like Moboplayer (in fact everything about sound was better on MX for me), and while I did notice some video artifacts as it worked to keep up, the results were very satisfactory and acceptable.

1080p @ 24 fps indicated on my Sammy TV.

I'm going to try the H.264 next to see if I get hardware decoding and better results. H.264 takes software decoding. I don't think that the MSMP4 does, but that trades AAC surround for mp3 stereo.

Going to try YouTube 720p stream through the browser instead.

Edit - the app does this in 720p.

Upvote 0
i used Dice player and addition to the others you mentioned.

i found similar results as you with the other players (I use those as well as dice) and also with the audio inconsistencies.

bottom line, on both the mhl adapter and Media link HD, I was quite pleased. Ive not ever seen this flick but the quality looked great nonetheless.

Panasonic 50 inch plasma 3D (i have two. played just fine on both).

so, lets get Dr. G to try this file and report back?

Reactions: Harry2 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The video was in many ways better on the YouTube app stream @ 720p, see what you think. I didn't see the checkerboard rendering in the sky viewing _very_ close up that I saw in the software decoded avi file.

What really impressed me was the 720p to 1080p scaling that was done on the phone. I had zero complaints and I am beyond fussy about scalers.

Edit - ninja'd :D

Do you recommend Dice over MX Player here?

Upvote 0
I found out more about the software decoders.

The MX Player has more decoder options. If you limit it to 1 cpu, you get the performance of the Moboplayer, so that's what's up with that.

And we know perceived details comes from color before resolution - that checkerboard coloring I complained about in both is due to a default 16 bit color space for software decoding. MX Player lets you set it to 32, and then the details match the YouTube 720p HD stream. However, it does so by pushing things to their limits and frame drop out was noticeable, as was video noise when viewed close up.

Changing fast decoding in MX Player and toggling the phone's gpu acceleration wouldn't make it go away.

This info may be helpful to the Media Link HD crowd as well, not sure.

Edit - DicePlayer is so superior to both that it's not funny. Full color, lower digital noise, and frame loss was rare and not highly perceptible at all, you had to know what to look for, and even then, rare.

If playing your content through an HDTV, listen to the man who does video for a living, marctronixx, and go with the DicePlayer. (And why didn't you tell me sooner?!? :D)

Upvote 0
very good points and follow up EM. I apologize about the tardiness of my response. :eek:

I use DICE exclusively. Been using it since the EVO 3D. :) it is very robust player and the dev updates it quite often. i ASSumed you knew about it and were using it too.. :(

i have not had a chance to check out the youtube version. i will at some point tomorrow evening when i have some more time.

excellent discussion here gents....

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I downloaded Big Buck Bunny, avi, 1080p (thanks EM :) )
and played it with DicePlayer (thanks marctronixx :) )
on my HTC MHL and on my wireless HTC Media Link HD.

My Sony TV shows 720p with the MHL and 1080p with the Media Link.

I purchased the MHL (for my HTC Sensation) last year.
Maybe lately MHLs might be able to serve 1080p ?

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones