1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Does this procedure delete hidden spy apps?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by cataskingforattention, May 8, 2016.

1. cataskingforattention

None

May 8, 2016
    Hi there,

Recently I got an used Samsung Galaxy S5. Since I'm paranoid, here's what I did:

- a factory reset
    - repartitioned the internal memory (via odin + pit file) and flashed a rom of Android 5.0 instead of the 5.0.1 that was already on the phone);
    - another factory reset.

I've read somewhere that spy apps can be flagged as system apps in order to make them non-uninstallable/undetectable by "normal users".

Did my procedure delete them, if any? I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you.

Advertisement

#1 cataskingforattention, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    whatever used to be on that phone is gone...

3. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    I'm guessing yes as well,what a coincidence that I had to go the other route & restore back to stock from a rooted de-odexed ROM on the Note5:

Usually,I factory reset when doing such,whether using ODIN or KIES3/SmartSwitch,so,I never gave it much thought,clean slate,right?

Well,my assumptions were wrong regarding ODIN & restoring,as when I was finished & the phone re-booted,everything was still there,as I had not performed a factory reset beforehand.

As for using KIES or SmartSwitch,I'm pretty sure it deletes/overwrites everything,regardless whether a reset was performed beforehand,not 100% on that,been a while since I used either.

So,just wanted to throw that out there,in case you want to walk it back to stock w/ODIN & use Kies/SmartSwitch to re-flash everything & do it all again.
    All this is probably unnecessary,the re-partitioning may have done the job as for wiping/deleting,IDK.
    Hopefully,someone will chime-in with the ins & outs on this subject,IMHO,some good need-to-know stuff.............

cataskingforattention likes this.
  4. cataskingforattention

None

May 8, 2016
  5. cataskingforattention

None

May 8, 2016
    Hello Guys,

sadly I have to "up" this thread, please forgive me if it's not OK to up old threads here.

I want to tell you that in the last days I'm having kind of a paranoid "delusion" (?). I'd like to tell you that I was abused with spy apps at least twice in my life (at least once on a pc, at least another time on another smartphone).

Please, I just need somebody to reassure me, 'cause I'm even thinking about throwing this phone away.

Before I did that procedure, I had actually done something more:

• I rooted it
    • SuperSU didn't show any weird app with root permissions
    • With X-Plore, I went through the /system/app, /system/priv-app, /data, etc.
    • I left a packet sniffer in execution to spot weird connections
    And found nothing.

Then I repartitioned the int. mem. (at least I hope I'd done it right), flashed the firmware, and here's something that should reassure me: the SuperSU icon and the su binary file were gone.

Do you guys think everything is gone?

Do you think there's a possibility that a spy app can be stored into the recovery partition and therefore resist even after a fw flashing?

Does the flashing of a firmware always "destroy" the content of /system? Or can it sometimes just overwriting existing files, therefore just leaving some apps there?

Please reassure me. Please.

Thanks

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Flashing of firmware alone should have removed and spy app. You've already gone overboard.

7. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I agree (except for the overboard part).

Factory reset should get it if it's a user app.

Flashing a new ROM/system should get it if it's a system app.

But considering there's a lot at stake, and knowing the amazing things advanced hackers can do, I think the extra steps were reasonable to reach a very high level of confidence. There is no such thing as 100% certain in computer security.

#7 electricpete, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    cataskingforattention likes this.