• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Verizon charge for tethering?

Fact: Verizon "can" charge you extra for tethering. The real question is: Will they? I have yet to hear of anyone on this site that has been charged. And there seems to be several people that tether quite a bit. Personally, I wouldn't worry about 35 megs. If you're tether gigs of data ... you might want to be a little more concerned.

If the soon-coming 2.2 Froyo OTA update has the wireless tethering feature built into the OS ... the issue will become moot. Here's to hoping...

Upvote 0
Fact: Verizon "can" charge you extra for tethering. The real question is: Will they? I have yet to hear of anyone on this site that has been charged. And there seems to be several people that tether quite a bit. Personally, I wouldn't worry about 35 megs. If you're tether gigs of data ... you might want to be a little more concerned.

If the soon-coming 2.2 Froyo OTA update has the wireless tethering feature built into the OS ... the issue will become moot. Here's to hoping...

According to today's Google/Verizon announcement, making your phone a mobile hotspot will indeed be a feature for Froyo. You'll be able to tether up to 5 additional devices to your phone. There will be a fee, however. You'll have to pay $20 per month and you'll be able to tether up to 2GB of data per month. I guess that means they'll be able to differenciate "regular" phone data and tethering data. Not good news for those of us that do like to tether from time to time.

Upvote 0
According to today's Google/Verizon announcement, making your phone a mobile hotspot will indeed be a feature for Froyo. You'll be able to tether up to 5 additional devices to your phone. There will be a fee, however. You'll have to pay $20 per month and you'll be able to tether up to 2GB of data per month. I guess that means they'll be able to differenciate "regular" phone data and tethering data. Not good news for those of us that do like to tether from time to time.

I wonder if tethered data is only measured through FROYO's built-in hotspot application?

Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet my paycheck that tethering will be easily monitored, rooted or not, with 2.2....Maybe even now with our wireless tether app.

It would be worth their time and money to have some sort of partnership with Google to gather usage reports from the phone. I might just uninstall it now and call it a day. It was fun while it lasted.

Upvote 0
I just saw the Cnet video of this phone. The wireless hotspot tethering is an app itself, not via settings. I assume that Verizon will probably disable the feature when Froyo comes out and force people to use their app to get the wireless hotspot feature.

If the phone is rooted and you use the wireless tethering app, I doubt Verizon can monitor that. They can assume if you keep going over the limit, but they can't just monitor it.

Upvote 0
I went back to comcast. I do quite a bit of downloading and the DInc just wasn't cutting it speedwise; a half hour for a 100mb file is too long for me. Guess I'm just impatient.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
I would expect that. I wouldn't use my phone as my main internet connection unless the only other choice was dial-up, like in a rural area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones