1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General does wifi drain the battery if on all the time?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lgbalfa, Aug 8, 2013.

1. lgbalfa

lgbalfa Well-Known Member

i have read conflicting reports about leaving the wifi on all the time or off to save battery life.

anyone with direct experience to know if it even makes a difference?

thanks

Advertisement

spenman199 likes this.
  2. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

A lot of people say if you leave wifi on but are not connected to wifi, it will not hurt battery life. I'm not sure I believe that anymore as I have seen a fair amount of battery usage from wifi when not connected over the last couple of months. I, now, try to remember to turn wifi off if I won't be connecting to wifi for a longer period of time.

3. Borrego97

Borrego97 Newbie

I have the Wifi ON all the time and I get around 18-20 hrs of battery life, with around 40-30% battery charge

4. PrinceCorwin

PrinceCorwin Android Expert

Leaving wifi on will drain battery a little because it is constantly searching for a signal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

5. seVer

seVer Android Expert

Turn off the option to notify for open networks under the advanced options. I leave mine on constantly and dont have an issue with massive battery drain.

6. Lars

Lars Android Expert

Have the best of both worlds. Use Y5 battery saver and it will take care of turning WiFi on and off when you get near one of your ap . It uses tower data.

7. lgbalfa

lgbalfa Well-Known Member

how about if you leave wifi on but it is connected?

does that drain the battery a little?

8. DrBones

DrBones Lurker

The new KitKat "upgrade" is now eating my battery. Not lasting more that 6 hours, and the phone is hot.
    What's the problem here?

9. Did you do a Factory Data Reset after the upgrade to Kit Kat? It is always recommended when upgrading to a new major version.

... Thom

10. tanware

tanware Android Enthusiast

Mine is not that bad but it is worse than before. I used to go literally 9 or more days without charging but now I'll eat up 10% in a short time. Then again I am playing with it quite a bit setting it up.

11. bolski

bolski Android Enthusiast

Another option is in the advanced section of the WiFi settings where you can tell it to ignore weak wifi signals. This way, it won't keep trying to connect to a weak signal.

I myself have it set up so that Smartactions turns my wifi on when I'm at home and at work (wifi access at work). Otherwise, wifi is turned off (default) outside of those areas. Otherwise, if you are in an area that does not have wifi, it will keep searching for wifi which can drain your battery.

For me, I can go an entire day and a half without charging which is the same as it was under JB.