• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does wireless contact back up work with the Moment?

That Sprint service isn't offered because it's totally unnecessary if you have an Android phone and a Gmail address. Even if you lose, break, exchange, factory reset or replace your Moment, (I've done both of the last two) you can get your contacts back as soon as you set up your Gmail account on the phone because it will auto sync the contacts with the newly set up Gmail account. Then, to keep your contacts updating, you must go to Data Synchronization and check Background data and then contacts. If you do this and leave them checked, it will regularly automatically update your contacts, but that will suck down battery power too. Instead, every once in a while going in and checking them manually and then unchecking both when finished will keep contacts updated while saving lots of battery life.

Also, your contacts, which are also stored as part of your Gmail account, may be updated using your phone by syncing your contacts after editing them OR by editing your contacts in Gmail under contacts and then syncing the contacts. Hope that clears up any issues with contacts,
Mike

Upvote 0
Ah, good point, getting the actual contacts into the phone the first time if they're not already saved in Gmail. Mine weren't all in my Gmail and since the Moment was pretty new, I ended up having to go to 2 Best Buy's, 1 Radio Shack and Finally 3 Sprint Stores, the last of which was able port over the contacts using their machine!

Worst case scenario, I'd try a Sprint store, but I'm curious to learn whether those moving over from phones with backup can port those to either Gmail or their new Moment without having to go to a store. Since the Moment supports bluetooth and the contacts are already backed up wireless, I would think what you want to do is possible, but I'd check with Sprint and see if one of their technical people can answer this one way or the other. I'm curious to know the answer myself, so please let us know.

Upvote 0
You can transfer contacts via BlueTooth, either phone-to-phone or phone-to-computer-to-phone.

I had been using BlueTooth to backup contacts to my computer with my old phone, rather than paying Sprint to do it. When I got my Moment all I had to do was transfer all the contacts from my computer to my phone and they synced with Google. (Then I got to spend an hour merging all my phone contacts with my e-mail contacts ...)

Clark

Upvote 0
I used a Windows Mobile device before I switched over to Android.

I synced my contacts into my Windows7 contacts folder, which gave me a bunch of vCard files. I exported those as a .csv file, and imported that into gmail.

I had been maintaining two address books, one in my phone with just phone numbers, and one in my email with only email addresses.

Once I imported my phone contacts into gmail, I took some time to clean up the entires and merge all the duplicates (one with email, one with phone) into single entries.

Once I had my contact list cleaned up, I synced it to my Moment.

If you can find an app to suck the contacts out of your old phone and export them as a .csv file, you should be able to import them into google.

-SF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones