• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does Your Vivid Randomly Restart?

I was just about to post the same thing and I also find it weird no one here had posted anything about random restarts. It seems that it doesn't happen to all the vivids because theres not much information about it. Well with my Vivid has been restarting since the first day, I've only had it for for 4 days!! The first day it restarted when I pressed the power to put it to sleep then I went to wake it up I pressed the power button to wake it up and it restarted. The 2 nd day it restarted the same way. The third day it restarted twice when I went to wake it up and another time it restarted when I was using the internet. It restarts recently about 3 times a day. I'm about to take it back to the store tomorrow and exhange it for another Vivid. I'm about to believe that there a bad batch in stock with these phones and I think I might go to another store for the exchange. I really like this phone but these restarts are annoying.

Upvote 0
I'm on my second Vivid and both it and my first exhibit(ed) the random restart. I'm an Android noob and thus haven't deviated much from loading "standard/well-known apps" and yet both of them crashed multiple times. The first phone I had about two weeks, and it restarted at least 8 times. The second one I've had two weeks and it's restarted about 6 times. While most times the issue has appeared when I press the power button to bring it out of sleep, but on at least 3 occasions the phone has restarted on its own/just sitting there.

I was at the AT&T store yesterday checking out the Nitro HD and mentioned this issue to the regional manager, and he was very familiar with the Vivid restart issue. So, it seems that it might be fairly widespread. I have to make a decision today as my 30 days are up: Stay with Vivid and hope the issue gets fixed or I get a phone that doesn't have this issue (would assume it's hardware, but I'm not sure it is), or move to something like the LG. Decisions...decisions...

Upvote 0
Wow...jealous woodsy...and ItalianHunk, I have to admit...I spent about 20 minutes doing a true side-by-side of the Vivid and the Nitro HD (had them both flat on the sales desk, next to each other doing exactly the same things at literally the exact same time) and to be honest, to me anyway, I thought the Vivid's screen was what I'll call "brighter white" and opened multiple web pages and apps like Market faster. Point being...I so want to like and keep this phone, as I'm really not sure the Nitro HD is the one...so if you have some time to play with, and don't mind the open locked bootloader issue (which I think will be resolved, or cracked, shortly...;o), I think the Vivid rocks and might be worth your time.

Upvote 0
So, I've had one random restart, had phone for three days. Who cares I'll never go back.

All I have to say is I was a IPhone user for 3 years, I was in love with IPhone!! I have now had my eyes opened by the HTC Vivid, Thank you droid. I love th Vivid it is amazing. Runs faster, crashes never, endless abilities. I thought I could do a lot on the IPhone but I can do so much more on the Vivid with speed.

Sorry I can't stop.

Upvote 0
I've had mine a week and no restarts here. Runs like a champ. Maybe it was a bad batch like another poster said? I actually ordered mine from walmart.com, I didn't go to an ATT store... Maybe it's a coincidence but I seem to run into problem phones when I purchase from a store. My last two, one from Best Buy (HTC Status) and this Vivid have never had an issue.

Upvote 0
I already exchanged one vivd and still I have the same problem even with the second vivid that I already exchanged. This is so annoying I'm gonna change this phone if they don't fix this issue even that I reported the problem to HTC. Seems like they aren't trying to take care this problem. Shame on them...

Upvote 0
Went by the AT&T repair center by my office this afternoon as my Vivid is, daily, still powering itself off. The tech first recommended getting rid of Advanced Task Killer. She said that it has been known to cause weird issues. She also replaced the battery (I don't see how this could be related, but I wasn't going to complain about getting a new battery for free). We went ahead and did a factory reset on the phone just to make sure everything was back to base. She said if I continued to see problems to stop back by and we'd move on to another plan. I figure I'm going to keep it completely stock for a couple days to see how it goes. Just figured I'd pass along the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones