• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Doesn't synching music delete from the phone?

haldroidx

Aug 28, 2010
I went into the synch area of Windows Media Player and marked a bunch of my music file not to synch any more. So I figured on the next synch of my Droid X (Android 2.1) the corresponding files that were already on the phone would disappear. But they didn't. Shouldn't they? Do I have to go through and manually delete them one by one from the phone?

Frankly, I'm not sure Windows Media Player's approach to setting up a synch list makes sense at all. Is DoubleTwist or WinAmp less confusing?

Traditionally, the word "synchronize" is understood to mean "put both sides into the same state". So however you've got your synch folder set up on the supply side (the PC) is how the receiving side (the phone) ought to look when you're done. Perhaps the strategy has changed over the years without a different word having been chosen to describe it. But I wouldn't expect such a change, because of course the phone has limited space, and it's natural to suppose that, as people's music collections grow, and given that they would typically want to rotate different portions of their collections through the phone every so often, they would expect that when they set up a different subset of their collection for synching, deletions as well as additions would occur.

Upvote 0
Traditionally, the word "synchronize" is understood to mean "put both sides into the same state". So however you've got your synch folder set up on the supply side (the PC) is how the receiving side (the phone) ought to look when you're done. Perhaps the strategy has changed over the years without a different word having been chosen to describe it. But I wouldn't expect such a change, because of course the phone has limited space, and it's natural to suppose that, as people's music collections grow, and given that they would typically want to rotate different portions of their collections through the phone every so often, they would expect that when they set up a different subset of their collection for synching, deletions as well as additions would occur.

Valid points, but i look at it like this (and i could be completely wrong btw). On any windows machine it is a simple click and drag. Pull over what you want on and if you want, delete what you want off. Haven't put any music on my droid so i cant really say for sure.

Upvote 0
Traditionally, the word "synchronize" is understood to mean "put both sides into the same state". So however you've got your synch folder set up on the supply side (the PC) is how the receiving side (the phone) ought to look when you're done.

Given that definition, it seems reasonable that syncing files to the recieiver then turning off sync for those files could leave them orphaned on the receiver.

Reminds me of the difference between OR vs. XOR.
Unsync vs. Delete-from-receiver-then-unsync.

Both are logical responses, but the terms need to be agreed upon beforehand.

Since I'm an iTunes hater I handle loading and unloading of my G1 with a bourne shell script. Total control. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones