1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Dolphin Brower Issue w/Tab Opening

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lexluthor, Aug 11, 2012.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Recently I've been having an issue with Dolphin browser. I have a Verizon Galaxy S III running stock/rooted.

Sometimes when I long click on a link and then choose open in background, nothing happens. The tab doesn't open/no new tab is created. Maybe it happens 10% of the time. Sometimes I can try the same link 3 times in a row and it doesn't open. I'm sure I'm clicking on the link and then clicking open in background. I'm very careful now that I know of this issue.

The way I sometimes like to browse a forum like this is maybe I open 10 threads in the background and then go through them 1 at a time. If I don't peak at the tab bar after each I open each tab, I may never know that one of the links never opened a new tab. This is definitely a pain.

While Dolphin support was responsive, they were unable to replicate the problem.

Can anyone else replicate this? Just open a forum like this, open 10 or 20 threads in a row in the background and then count and see if that many tabs opened up.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast

Rooted VZW Galaxy Nexus running AOKP JB nightly. I just opened 21 tabs in the background and had no issue. Have you tried clearing Dolphin's cache or maybe reinstalling it?

3. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

I've had this same problem with Dolphin. It's not just you. Happens only for background tabs. Foreground tabs open just fine.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

What phone do you have?

Actually, I tested this out with Boat browser and I get the same results. That leads me to think maybe it's a Galaxy S III thing or an ICS thing. Don't really know.

Do you get the same thing if you try with Boat browser (or some other browser)?

This is strange.

I was almost expecting this to be an issue with just my phone.

5. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

I've got a Galaxy Nexus (Toro). But this also happened on my previous phone, the MyTouch 4G (HTC Glacier). I don't think it's phone-specific.

It's interesting because if I open tabs in the foreground and then switch tabs back, the tabs open fine.

And if I set links to always open in new tabs and have tabs set to load in the background, they'll load in the background just fine.

But if I long-press a link and have it open in a background tab, I get the behavior you describe--sometimes it'll open in a new tab, and sometimes it won't. For me, it was about 50/50.

6. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Where is the setting to have links always open in new tabs in the current version of Dolphin? I see I can set them to load in the background as default, but I don't see a way to make it automatically open new tabs when I click a link.

7. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

Go to Settings > Lab > Open in New Tab

Note: long-pressing to open in background will still not work. You will just click the links, and they will open in the background, and it means all links will open in the background.

8. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Ok. Want sure what that option did. But if i do that option, there's no way to just click a link and have it go to that link without opening a new tab? That's no good then.

Should be an option to auto open links on long click.

9. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

Correct.

I fully agree. Unfortunately, I've seen that only in xScope, and xScope has some other issues that make me not want to use it.

10. tenchy

tenchy Well-Known Member

I get exactly this issue now my Galaxy has 'updated' to jelly bean from ICS.
    Both in default browser and Dolphin.
    Foreground or background tabs.
    And sometimes I get it like a dozen times straight.
    NEVER happened before JB came along and spoiled the party.

Stock Nexus on 3 (UK)

11. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

Dolphin was my favored browser for a long time on Android. I've finally made a permanent switch to Opera Mobile.