1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Dolphin HD browser or other browser....tabs restore?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bkaspar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    On my desktop browser, I always have the tabs restore from the last browsing session, when I open the browser for the first time. Sometimes I have browser multiple windows open too and they all restore. Is there any way to get this functionality with Dolphin HD browser on android, or other similar android browser apps?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't know of any Android browser that has that function. Closest I can think of is opening previous pages through the browser's history.

3. 2012

2012 Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    UK
    This is what I end up doing. New tab then go through the history. Can get a bit hard to find things though if i've looked at a lot of pages that day.

4. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I wish there was another browser, a Dolphin Extension, or some other option......

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Opera does this, even if you press exit. Which is actually one of the things I hate about it, but it seems you like it. :)

Or just press home on Dolphin instead of exit.

6. Chigwells

Chigwells Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Hi All, I have this same issue, really annoying. I mostly always like to go back to my previous browsing session

@chanchan: You say Opera does this. I use both Opera Mobile and Mini, neither does it for me?

"just press home on Dolphin" - I see the home button up top left there, I shall give this a try out thanks.

@2012: exactly what I resort to doing. Ridiculous! I wonder what it is about the technology that makes this standard function (whether or not you need or use it) so difficult to implement

7. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Same here--Opera does not do this for me on my phone.

8. pmheart6

pmheart6 Lurker
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    Yea, dolphin only seems to do it on a hard crash. I had it do a soft crash. Closed all tabs and restart with only the default. The function is there its just a matter of getting it always on.

I tried about:restore like you can on some desktops with no luck. Well, oh well.

9. buythismobile

buythismobile Newbie
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Still not possible to restore tabs? Thanks.

10. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Since Android generally caches processes when possible rather than killing them, I think when you return to any app, it will be the way you left it (including browser tabs open) provided:
    1-leave the browser without back or exit, so you don't close tabs on way our and so browser stays in memory as a cached process. I.e. use home key. Or gesture launcher etc .
    2-don't reboot phone or do any cache cleaning.
    3-provided the android operating system doesn't get in a situation where it needs to reclaim the memory by killing your browser process.

I haven't heard of restore for situation when process was killed. If you wanted to avoid killing process, you might try out the "resident" option of "app settings" module for "xposed framework" (requires root), but that seems like overkill.

I use chrome without any special setup and my old tabs are almost always waiting for me when I re-enter chrome. (Galaxy S4 running 4.3)

11. kylieandleo

kylieandleo Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2014
    My Dolphin did keep my tabs and its great for me - all of a sudden now when I change apps, using any of the methods, the tabs are gone when I return and the history has only about 10 enteries. Has anyone found a way to change this?

12. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2016
    Male
    In the advanced settings there is an option to restore previous tabs but in the event of crash tabs will not be restored. There is also a backup option but I don't know if this includes tabs.