• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Done lots of reading, still confused about meeting invitations

grossie

Sep 20, 2010
My wife (who is a consultant for a living) just got a Droid Incredible from Verizon, and loves the phone except for one fatal flaw- the meeting invitation issue that I know others are aware/deal with. For her this is not a small thing- she's constantly getting invited to meetings or inviting others to meetings. The problem is that when a meeting invitation shows up there's no way to respond to that invitation from the email, nor is there an automatic jump to that calendar date so she can see what else is going on that day. I've found an app to read .ics files (ics bot), which helps a little, but doesn't really give full functionality.

I've read these forums and tried to sift through what is or isn't possible. It seems like Touchdown works for exchange servers, but I don't think there's a way to make this happen for us regular Outlook calendar users. Am I wrong about that? Is there a way to get back that functionality without having an exchange server? Also, does the Droid X do what we'd like, or is it the same issue. She has about another 20 days to decide if she's keeping this or going back to a blackberry :(

TIA!

Thanks for the responses. In the BB world you use a USB cord and it syncs everything between the BB and Outlook. That's not as much of an issue (now using gmail calendar), but the issue is about how invitations are handled by the Droid- no option to accept it from the email and/or jump directly to that time in the calendar when getting the invitation.

To answer your question, Crashumbc, yes, a cord to outlook. But even if it was gmail with no cord the functionality is still lacking enough that for heavy business users this system is difficult. No fix? Anyone know about the Droid X and this issue?

Upvote 0
I have this same issue. I have my own domain with a Google Premiere account and do not use Exchange (why bother?), so I do not sync. I receive meeting requests on my DX but can not respond to them. I've attempted to browse to gmail, but that interface only provides an opportunity to reply to the message, no way to accept or decline.

I finally found a Marketplace app called Touchdown that provides this exact functionality, along with a host of others also not provided by the Android development teams. This app costs $20 which is fine for a corporate employee, but outrageous for the average user.

I'm getting ready to swallow a $20 app unless someone can offer a work-around or alternative solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones