• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Done with Motorola - Returning Droid

edub

Mar 24, 2010
As much as I love all the gadgetry of the Droid, the reception is beyond awful much like it was with my RAZR. My last phone, a Samsung performed flawlessly - all phones using Verison.

It is painfully obvious at this point that Motorola has serious issues with the call reception of their phones. Perhaps some people are willing to tolerate this in order to get all the bells and whistles - I am not one of them.

There will always be people who will swear by their purchase come hell or high water - I expect many responses from them. But, if you search the internet you will find numerous accounts of horrendous reception with these phones. It seems poor reception is the norm for Motorola.

If your main reason for purchasing a phone is to make phone calls, and you do not want to hear garbled voices, static and people constantly telling you they can't hear you, avoid Motorola phones.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have brought back plenty of phones because of poor reception. For my business, I MUST HAVE a phone that works! It doesn't matter what else it can do. Everything else a phone can do is fun, but to me the most important thing is phone reception. With that said, I travel all over the country and I am getting better reception with the droid than I was with my storm 1 and 2. I also get much better reception than my coworkers who are on the Iphone. It's a shame that your getting poor reception, but I would do the same thing you are if I were experiencing it. And no, I'm not defending my purchase. Like I said, I would get rid of it in a second if I had the same problems your having.

Upvote 0
I have no problems with phone reception or voice quality on my Droid. I'm not simply saying that to defend my purchase, and I don't think others are here any more than you're just agreeing with the vocal minority and attempting to garner attention by saying you're going to ditch the Droid for what many here by definition feel is an inferior device.

I will say that I've had several Blackberry phones over the years. On the long list of things that the Droid does far better than any BB I've held in my hands voice quality is right up there. Compared to a Curve a friend had on Verizon a while back I'd say that reception strengths were comparable, but the Droid easily has a wider frequency range.

Is this your first Droid or have you tried swapping it out already?

Upvote 0
At work inside my building I get 3 bars. Once outside I get all 4. At home I only get 1 bar inside which I guess is a problem because it makes me worry a little, even though I can still place and receive calls just fine.

I don't see the point in these jumping ship post I sometimes see. You've already decided to get a new phone, why are you here telling us about it?

Upvote 0
My Droid has the best reception of any phone I've owned since I can remember. That's really only taking into account the LG Voyager, Kyocera Slider and the Slider Remix, so my experience is somewhat limited and I've never owned a smartphone before this one, but my reception is better than most of my friends who use Verizon and AT&T (no surprise there).

Still have yet to update the baseband.

Edit: Saw this thread, addresses the same thing but seems more specific.
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/61567-declining-reception.html

Upvote 0
No reception problems here either. But I live near the DC Metro area (suburbs) and we typically get really good coverage. This is in stark contrast to what I used to have (at&t and Sprint). So, I can't complain. I've had two Motorola phones (the DROID being the second) and yeah, the reception isn't as good as the Samsung, but again, strength of network in my area makes this negligible. This brings up the point though that people shouldn't just get the latest and greatest phones/devices, but get the device that works best in your area. I know a bagillion iPhone users who just agonize over the coverage, but hey, I have an iPhone, they'll say. What's the point?!

Upvote 0
I have noticed the quality of the voice seems more dependent on who is calling me and what they use. My friend with an iPhone sounds worse than any landline call. My wife sounds great when using the Droid handset but a lot worse when using her Bluetooth jawbone. Too many variables to be sure why it sounds bad wjhen you throw in the location and signal strength too.

Upvote 0
I'm a huge proponent on your reception being heavily affected on where you live and your surroundings. Some areas I get great reception and clarity while others are less than stellar with dropped calls not being uncommon. But by in large the reception performance far outshines the experience I've had with the iPhone and AT&T. <--- That was the worst ever.

Upvote 0
I've had much worse call quality on my Droid. It's not bad enough that I've returned it, but I don't think I ever lost a call on my old BB Curve, and it's probably happened 10 times in the few months I've owned my Droid. Also, it seems like there is almost always static on my line while talking. I haven't moved, and never had a problem with my old phone. Again, it's not bad enough that I'm returning it, but it's there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones