1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Done with this phone...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tabasco13, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tabasco13

Tabasco13 Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Update, wipe, update, bring to sprint, reset, battery pull. I've wiped my entire phone for the 3rd time. Text messages still getting hung up, GPS won't aquire my position, FB is in and out with error messages, wifi wont connect. This is pure BS. I have to join a website to diagnose and attempt to fix a cell phone. Luckily its paid for by work. Before I go to Sprint and demand a new working phone, I backed up my apps using about 3 different apps. After the wipe they show up in my gallery, but it looks like its just the picture of the app icon. Is there a way to restore this, or is that all it is...a picture? Also obviously the apps i backed up my sms with were wiped too so all my texts and call logs that were 'backed up' are gone now? Frustrated beyond words...:mad:

Advertisement

2. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    The first half of your paragraph is warranted, but the second half...sorry to say, but that's all on you. Failure to properly back things up is NOT the phone's fault, it's 100% yours.

I have no idea what you're referring to about apps showing up in your gallery, that's for pictures only. Now, if you're talking about your app drawer, that's something different. If you backed up your launcher(like launcherpro) then it could potentially just be the icons, and they won't do anything until you re-install the app itself. Once you do that, you might be able to launch them again.

What did you use to backup your sms messages? Most backup programs will only backup the actual program, not it's data, and there's good reason for it too. If you used "sms backup and restore" then you should have no problem getting your messages back.

If you used a program like Astro file manager, that only backs up the actual app, not it's data, or in this case, messages. Another example would be Angry Birds...if you only backed up the app, it won't save your place in the game as that's part of the apps data, not the app itself.

This may not bring any solutions, but more awareness for next time.

3. stewdog1

stewdog1 Member
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    People forget that these types of devices are bascially a PC in your pocket that has the ability to be used as a phone.

4. Tabasco13

Tabasco13 Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Not knowing what I was doing and wiping my phone clean AGAIN was definitely my fault. 100%. All I'm saying is there is no reason you should have to do hard resets and wipes to try to fix a phones problem. I consider myself somewhat computer literate, but for the average user/someone not on these forums they would be completely stuck.

Anyways, I reinstalled the app backup and restore I had and it put all the apps back. hoping it does the same for sms. Thanks for the tip and nudge. Still hate this phone though ;)

5. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Then throw it in the ocean and get a different one.

dangerdat and Cook19 like this.
  6. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I've found that if you make backups of something that isn't working correctly then fix it and flash your backups it's a good way to screw something up that's working again. I flash my phone several times a week and it takes me about 30 minutes to get it completely set up and working the way I like it. The only backup I use is for my Launcher Pro Plus so I don't have to enter the key again. Cleaning the phone out every once in a while does wonders for stability.

7. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

I couldnt agree more. If something is messed up and you save it well that is going to lead to the same headache all over again.

equinoxx likes this.
  8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    There are known issues with Android phones. They will exhibit the known issue even when fresh from the factory. But 95% of the issues are actually caused by the user and only show up after loading up the phone, which are really handheld computers that make calls. People confuse them with flip phones.

9. toyman317

toyman317 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    Adding to what Ovrrdrive said, mine updated from DI18 and worked decent for about 2 days then started to lag and such. Ended up deciding to factory reset and used MyBackup pro to save my apps and settings. Still having even more problems than I had before, I did the reset and just loaded everything from the market manually. Computer is working great now and I am happier with my setup than before. Needless to say, I will be very careful about using MyBackup Pro in the future.

It didn't take very long to set everything back up. Sprint reps I have talked to have said that with a major upgrade in the firmware, it works out better if a full reset is done. I tend to agree although my wifes epic updated from EB13 OTA and hers works like a charm. Go figure.

10. gme109

gme109 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    What issues did you have with My Backup Pro?

11. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

One of the problem lies in backing up and restoring the data portion. If you have issues there is possibly data corruption. So what do people do? They backup, wipe and restore the app and the data. Then they complain the problem rears its ugly head again. Do not restore the data, just the app. If you're updating the firmware, do not restore data.

Also, I believe if you restore apps after a clean wipe you won't have the market links for them unless you're rooted. So even if you're not running custom roms it is to your benefit to do the one click root so when you do restore apps, they are linked to the market and will continue to update.

12. toyman317

toyman317 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010

13. tyztoy

tyztoy Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Auburn, IN
    I felt the same way last week. I was ready to ditch this phone. I rely on mine a lot for work also. Mine would shut off and I would know it, it would lock, battery life sucked, etc, etc. I spent A LOT of time reading and watching videos on rooting this phone. I could not be happier. I wish I had done this months ago. I would like to thank all in this forum (and others) for their detailed instructions/videos.

I would advise you to at least consider doing this. I have been rooted and running the Midnight 5.0 EXT4 w/Journaling ROM since Thursday and couldn't be happier. You just need to make sure you read, read, read. It has finally become the phone I had wanted/expected.

14. Anti09

Anti09 Newbie
    None

Oct 31, 2010
    I wish I could tell you getting a new phone will fix your problems, but in all honesty man, it's likely a software issue not a hardware one. Samsung is the ultimate splitter company, producing beautiful phones that are sadly crippled by amateurish, incomplete software. It doesn't matter if you get 3 or 4 or 10 phones, they will all suffer from Samsung's incompetence.

Fortunately, indie devs have managed to fix nearly every problem Samsung hasn't, while extending battery life and improving speed. Take the plunge and root my friend, you'll never look back. I'm running ACS's excellent SyndicateRom Frozen right now, and its rock solid stable (zero bugs or FCs) even OC'd at 1.2Ghz, and I can still get 16-24 hrs of use.

15. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 13, 2009
    Kinda a shot in the dark here, but are you sure you are on the correct home launcher? When I first upgraded to Froyo, I thought everything was a mess but it was just because the stock home launcher was being executed by default. Once I changed that, everything was, in fact, exactly where it belonged.

16. jra

jra Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    If, or when, someone offers a phone that doesn't require constant attention to make it work correctly, I'm going to buy it... even if it means that I will have to move to another provider. What is happening with the Epic would be like buying a new car that required you to become a mechanic to be able to use it for its intended purpose... driving to your intended destination. I bought this phone to be used for all of the advertised abilities, but what I have is a piece of crap that works some of the time for some of the advertised abilities. I have a life that requires that I do other things than constantly work on my phone.... like earn a living. Sprint, Samsung and Android certainly dropped the ball on this fiasco. Somebody said it correctly.... EPIC FAILURE!

gme109 likes this.
  17. jra

jra Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    I have a P.S. to my previous rant. If it wasn't for those who post on these forums I would be totally lost. I'm 73 years old and learning isn't as easy for me now, so to all of you who post your advise and suggestions, I say A REALLY BIG THANK YOU!

18. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    Dude, at 73 years young, I'm impressed you know how to navigate a forum, let alone a superphone like the Epic is.

Kudos to you friend.

19. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    he's 73 years old...he isn't stupid.

20. lirwin

lirwin Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm impressed also. My dad is in his 70s, certainly not stupid, but could never navigate these forums. He struggles learning all the new technology but I'm happy he still tries!

Ditto on the kudos [​IMG]

21. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Sorry to hear this.

I'm on the stock DI18 firmware, only thing I did was manually root it. It has been running flawlessly since August. Now I am considering doing a 2.2 ROM only because I want 2.2 - otherwise the phone has been immaculate and perfect.

22. gme109

None

Aug 17, 2010
    Male

Loading up the phone?! You mean using it as it was intended, as a Smart phone, that has the ability to download apps? Are you suggesting that we don't place apps on the phone, and us it like a simple flip phone?

23. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

really? how about you just watch the apps you download. Like a cheap contractor, developers cut corners (or just don't know any better) all the time and shoddy programming can lead to a bad user experience and screw up your phone. It's seen more and more for people using custom roms on ext4. If developers coded properly, half the issues people rant about would be nonexistent.

TheEngineer likes this.
  24. gme109

None

Aug 17, 2010
    Male

"Watch the apps you download" How does one go about that? And who's job is it to make sure lousy apps don't hit the market? Goggle perhaps? As an end user, we shouldn't have to be worrying about what market approved apps we're downloading.

25. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

Read reviews before you download. If you see a ton of "force closes" and such. Stay away. Have your mommy hold your hand too....geez. There's even apps that will tell you what caused a crash. See the db that crashed, go into the file manager and delete the folders and reboot. Then delete the app. This isn't rocket science. It's been going on since the days of PalmOS.

If you blindly just download whatever looks cool and can't take a moment to read through the reviews or come on a forum and see if anyone has reviewed it or just posted experiences, then shame on you. don't be an early adopter and download the brand spanking new app from a new developer. Let others be guinea pigs. Wait until there are a bunch of downloads and reviews. Stick to apps from developers with a good track record. It's not rocket science.