• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Don't attack me but I have a simple question

HiiiPowers

Android Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2012
I know the devs are just getting the ball going with the cwm working and the first rom but I'm not going to be around a computer for a while so that means no root for me, I was just asking do any of the devs see someone making a different root method like flashing a rom from stock recovery like the noobv rom dose for the original warp.... Just asking

first off, may i say
GROWL, SNARL, HOW DARE YOU ASK A LEGITIMATE QUESTION?!?!
lol

alright now on to the answer
to my knowledge the stock recovery doesnt even recovery anything, there is no option for it... and the update.zip feature requires zte's signature keys, so thats out for quite some time at the very least
if anyone knows different please let us know but i dont see it happening, i dont really consider myself much of a dev, i just got sick of waiting for a working cwm and happened to get lucky so i might not be the leading expert on the subject

edit: "doesnt even recovery anything" lol wow ive been staring at code too long im going to bed

Upvote 0
well if you do wanna do the zte update tool there is a stock recovery floating around here somewhere, ill post it up on my cwm thread for you
and thanks dtm thats what mrbobo told me too, i decided to find out who made the rom in question and ask them and he told me the whole story so im going to try that if i can get this damned update zip creator to work again it wont even start up anymore ever since i got a new computer...

perhaps i forgot to install java i dunno, but regardless, ill runs some tests and see what i can find out as soon as i get my own stuff working again

and if anyone knows how to modify the menus in cwm and would like to put ftm mode back im pretty sure i know how but its not important enough to me to go bothering superr while hes working on cm10 and screwing with a cwm that already works fine

Upvote 0
and im working on getting all the things necessary to run the zip signing program again. almost done downloading jdk, then im getting dot net 4.0 and then i can see if itll run a test key signed zip. the keys are different than cwms tho i can tell that because i just compared two cwms from different devices and the key files match while the key file from the sequent is different
if anyone knows how to generate a pk8 file using the key file found in the stock recovery ramdisk though i can do it and be able to sign for the stock recovery

apparently zte has been spying on us and figured out all our little tricks, hence why they knew to fix that little bug, and also knew to confuse us about the partition table
kinda makes you wonder how much better their phones would be if they spent all that time and effort on something more productive than trying to stop us from doing what we do. they need to realize that A they cant stop us and B they wouldnt want to because with their crappy stock software nobody wants the phone

Upvote 0
and im working on getting all the things necessary to run the zip signing program again. almost done downloading jdk, then im getting dot net 4.0 and then i can see if itll run a test key signed zip. the keys are different than cwms tho i can tell that because i just compared two cwms from different devices and the key files match while the key file from the sequent is different
if anyone knows how to generate a pk8 file using the key file found in the stock recovery ramdisk though i can do it and be able to sign for the stock recovery

apparently zte has been spying on us and figured out all our little tricks, hence why they knew to fix that little bug, and also knew to confuse us about the partition table
kinda makes you wonder how much better their phones would be if they spent all that time and effort on something more productive than trying to stop us from doing what we do. they need to realize that A they cant stop us and B they wouldnt want to because with their crappy stock software nobody wants the phone

You can say A and B again I don't know why they spy then act as if they're helping, it's only hurting them because we both know that the phone won't get updated to fix all the bugs so what's the point of stopping or trying to stop a dedicated group of devs from making the product better don't they realize more people will want there products if there easy to root and it can be made into a beast like the warp 1...... No one wants a half optimized phone with half baked software.... I can't even listen to music without it hiccuping and the launcher is trash no to mention the poor ram and crappie minfree values

Upvote 0
Hey junkie,
Glad you got cwm going on the warp2, sorry I didn't stick around to help, sold the phone and got the galaxy s2. Good Luck Modding!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

ur all good man i cant say i blame you. this things got a ways to go before its even kinda good, i got nothing but time tho

not to say shinru's rom doesnt help ALOT, that man put alot of effort into his turd polishing, but this thing needs a complete overhaul, you can try and patch up the stock os all you want its got too many issues as a whole to be repaired, its time to get a new one

Reactions: animusfl
Upvote 0
ok well this is untested, i dont have stock recovery on my phone at the moment, but it SHOULD work
i will make a safe version that doesnt do the dangerous stuff, and if it doesnt give you any errors and you end up with the superuser program in your apps menu then it should be safe to run the full script

Upvote 0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/apt39c6hn56v57z/rootertest.zip
that is the safer one, doesnt delete anything, doesnt create any symlinks, doesnt go through actually "installing" busybox, all it does is put the files where they go and change permissions on the files installed

if you can run that without getting errors and you can see the superuser program in your applications menu then proceed to run this zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hk5iswk4uam6rj/rooter.zip

again keep in mind there are no promises here, it may not work right so if someone with the ability to use the zte update tool could try it that would be great. i unfortunately would have no way of recovering if something went wrong

if someone can use this update zip from within stock recovery though then we have a whole new way to root and install roms and all kinds of neat things without even needing cwm

Upvote 0
riiight, thats why the second one does install it, but i didnt wanna do anything that would modify the existing os to test and see if the files copy properly, that is just a test to see if it will in fact install properly, the second one runs all the commands that the batch file created by doomlord does and would fully enable root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones