• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't be shy - admit it - have you dropped your droid yet?

maybe I'm just super un-clumsy, but I can't remember the last time I've dropped my phone, and my previous phone was one of the free phones that doesn't do anything accept send and receive calls, I wouldn't really even care if it was dropped.

I've never dropped any of my cameras or lenses either (this topic is paralelled by photographers quite often!) and I've got alot of camera equipment, both new and very old, 100+ years old.

But now that I've mentioned it, I imagine I"ll probably drop my droid pretty soon now, HAH! :D

Upvote 0
Yesterday, somehow, my droid managed to fall out of my inside coat pocket when I was getting out of a car. Heard a weird noise when I shut the car door and looked down to see my droid, the battery, and battery door scattered about. I put it back together and it worked but it had a nice gash/dent on the bottom right corner and scuffed some of the back. That bugs the HELL out of me and since I hadn't had the phone 30 days, went to Verizon and told them I was having some issues (I DID have a few, nothing major though) and was handed a new one, no questions :D

Now it's shiny and, maybe its just me, but the keyboard seems a bit different (better).

Upvote 0
So I have seen this thread a few times (laughing at the thought of me even coming close to dropping my droid). Well today it finally happened....not once...not twice but THREE times. All of which were me (stupidly) getting out of the car with the phone in my lap. I felt like such an idiot. My phone looks great besides a scuff on the corner, which is great considering all of the falls were on concrete and about a 4ft drop.

Upvote 0
I dropped mine yesterday getting out of the car at the gas station. I had been driving for about 4 hours and forgotten that I placed it on my lap. It landed squarely on the upper right hand corner of the phone (in front of the power button), on asphalt leaving an ugly blemish where the paint scratched off... <sigh>, now I can't stop staring at it or stressing over it (my OCD is killin me)... my wife has offered to "smoothe it out" and paint over it... did I mention <sigh>?

Upvote 0
I dropped mine yesterday getting out of the car at the gas station. I had been driving for about 4 hours and forgotten that I placed it on my lap. It landed squarely on the upper right hand corner of the phone (in front of the power button), on asphalt leaving an ugly blemish where the paint scratched off... <sigh>, now I can't stop staring at it or stressing over it (my OCD is killin me)... my wife has offered to "smoothe it out" and paint over it... did I mention <sigh>?

get one of the snap on covers, but only use the bezel cover half. it'll cover it and maybe you'll forget about it.

Upvote 0
When the walmart guy was activating mine, he pulled it out too fast and dropped it on the counter from about a height of 6 inches or less.....He said sorry and nervously laughed...i just smiled....but inside me raged a FIRE and bells rang to alert the Orc army of mordor of their newest campaign....against Sauron the walmart employee....

Upvote 0

Don't paint it. Use a black permanent marker.

Upvote 0
When the walmart guy was activating mine, he pulled it out too fast and dropped it on the counter from about a height of 6 inches or less.....He said sorry and nervously laughed...i just smiled....but inside me raged a FIRE and bells rang to alert the Orc army of mordor of their newest campaign....against Sauron the walmart employee....

I wouldn't have taken it, I would have demanded another brand new one...and not let him touch it!, Just hand me the box and tell me what you need butterfingers :p

Upvote 0
I haven't dropped mine, but my wife put it through the washing machine. I heard something banging in the machine (a front loader) so I stopped it. My Droid was inside. That was the day after I bought it. It looked fine. I dried it out for a day by taking off the back cover and removing the battery. No avail. It was dead. Looked nice though. Put a claim in with Asurion and got a new one in 2 days. Took out the SD card from the old one, put it in the new one. Ran MyBackup. Everything back to normal now. Only cost me $89 to learn my lesson: Never leave a Droid in your pants pocket when you take them off.

Upvote 0
I had the shell/holster combo but took it back because it made a horrible notice everytime I took the phone out of the holster. Upon leaving the store (because all vzw's other cases didnt interest me) I almost dropped the phone five times lol. Went to the local mall and had Zagg shield installed and now my phone never slips and the front face protector isnt overly gribby. Im super happy with it.

Upvote 0
I haven't dropped mine, but my wife put it through the washing machine. I heard something banging in the machine (a front loader) so I stopped it. My Droid was inside. That was the day after I bought it. It looked fine. I dried it out for a day by taking off the back cover and removing the battery. No avail. It was dead. Looked nice though. Put a claim in with Asurion and got a new one in 2 days. Took out the SD card from the old one, put it in the new one. Ran MyBackup. Everything back to normal now. Only cost me $89 to learn my lesson: Never leave a Droid in your pants pocket when you take them off.

You did make your wife pay the $89, right? :)

Joe

Upvote 0
My Verizon store guy pulled the box from the outer sleeve and the phone dropped 4 inches screen face down onto a stack of papers... I just shrugged it off.

I did this myself, having received the phone directly from Verizon via FedEx. Both sides of the box look alike. I was standing as I opened the phone. I slid out the inner box and the phone was on the bottom facing down, and it fell 4 feet onto a terra-cotta tile floor and bounced. I had no idea how it was packaged. So maybe I have the record for the longest drop (4 feet onto solid floo) and the fastest drop (within 5 seconds of owning it). No damage to the phone, but lots to my ego, and my cat heard 4-letter words she'd not heard before. Ironically, I owned a palm 755p for 2 years and never came close to dropping it.

Upvote 0
I did this myself, having received the phone directly from Verizon via FedEx. Both sides of the box look alike. I was standing as I opened the phone. I slid out the inner box and the phone was on the bottom facing down, and it fell 4 feet onto a terra-cotta tile floor and bounced. I had no idea how it was packaged. So maybe I have the record for the longest drop (4 feet onto solid floo) and the fastest drop (within 5 seconds of owning it). No damage to the phone, but lots to my ego, and my cat heard 4-letter words she'd not heard before. Ironically, I owned a palm 755p for 2 years and never came close to dropping it.

Wouldn't have mattered if you dropped it anyways, that thing was a tank. I had that same phone and then the palm centro, which took more abuse than anything else and it still works. I've dropped it in a puddle, dropped it off a ladder onto cement (~6 foot drop), dropped it ALL the time in the kitchen, the little bugger was resilient.

The funny thing about the Droid is, I love the phone so much that I'm more careful with it than I am holding my neice. That surely says I love my phone, or I'm a sociopath. Who knows.

Upvote 0
so i was simply using my phone over my desk when a roommate startled me and I then proceeded to drop it right down onto the desk.... only fell maybe a few inches but i was scared... but i have thin seidio case on it and did not notice anything wrong :)

the only thing i fear is that since i use the droid for my alarm clock, i am afraid i will throw one day... i already pound the screen to turn the alarm off... ><

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones