• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't fall for this ad on here

chrlswltrs

Extreme Android User
Nov 12, 2009
Seattle
I don't have a degree in radiology or radiation study but i do know that if you use a case lined with lead for your phone it will reduce radiation output!
it will also greatly reduce your phones ability to make or receive phone calls.

radiation output is how phones work, i doubt it would be dangerous to humans in any case, but you might get a headache.

Upvote 0
I don't have a degree in radiology or radiation study but i do know that if you use a case lined with lead for your phone it will reduce radiation output!

radiation output is how phones work, i doubt it would be dangerous to humans in any case, but you might get a headache.

You get more radiation from light bulbs, the sun, naturally occurring elements in dirt, and even food like bananas than you do from a cell phone. If you are really worried about radiation from a cell phone the only way to protect yourself is to live in a bunker made of lead, steal, and water (you need all 3 for different types of radiation) and never come out!

Upvote 0
If you are really worried about radiation from a cell phone the only way to protect yourself is to live in a bunker made of lead, steal, and water (you need all 3 for different types of radiation) and never come out!

Just make sure you leave your phone outside the bunker, or you'll essentially be starring in the worst horror movie ever made.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0

It is not ionizing radiation that is of concern; it is microwave radiation. when people talk of lead, they are thinking of nuclear artifacts like gamma, beta, and Paris Hilton rays, not microwaves.

Everything produces radiation in one form or another. The jury is still out when it comes to cell phones.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I wonder if the jury is still out on the banana radiation.

banana-cell-phone-300x300.jpg

Upvote 0
It is not ionizing radiation that is of concern; it is microwave radiation. when people talk of lead, they are thinking of nuclear artifacts like gamma, beta, and Paris Hilton rays, not microwaves.

Everything produces radiation in one form or another. The jury is still out when it comes to cell phones.

Even if cell phones produce some sort of harmful radiation (big if) you're still screwed because that radiation is around you 24/7 anyway. You could stand right next to me right now and receive a call from your phone because the radio waves carrying that transmission would surround you here save as they would where you are. (Note - this would not work if you're with ATT 'cuz you can't make calls with them.)

Upvote 0
Even if cell phones produce some sort of harmful radiation (big if) you're still screwed because that radiation is around you 24/7 anyway. You could stand right next to me right now and receive a call from your phone because the radio waves carrying that transmission would surround you here save as they would where you are. (Note - this would not work if you're with ATT 'cuz you can't make calls with them.)

True, but the prevailing paranoia generators in the "news" media want to remind us that any radiation is stronger as the transmitter of that radiation is closer to the human being using it.

The received signal is much weaker than the transmitted one unless we get closer to the apparatus that is spraying the signal around.

So, we're all going to get brain cancer and die and stuff.

Upvote 0
True, but the prevailing paranoia generators in the "news" media want to remind us that any radiation is stronger as the transmitter of that radiation is closer to the human being using it.

The received signal is much weaker than the transmitted one unless we get closer to the apparatus that is spraying the signal around.

So, we're all going to get brain cancer and die and stuff.

Yeah, and stuff!

Upvote 0

Your phone emits very low levels of microwave radiation. The FCC determines how much is allowable and all manufacturers must comply. The radiation is intermittent unlike your microwave oven.

Microwave radiation "falls off" at a certain point. So we might be standing next to each other, and what comes from your phone is likely so diminished, it does not have an effect.

To be fair, lots of sites with lots of data that agrees with me or if not, clearly, it is wrong. Smiley. The tinfoil gamete industry is growing because of these issues. We all know that cell phones will cause your wife to give birth to Flipper.

From an FCC web site: OET -- RF Safety FAQ's

"A number of devices have been marketed that claim to "shield" or otherwise reduce RF absorption in the body of the user. Some of these devices incorporate shielded phone cases, while others involve nothing more than a metallic accessory attached to the phone. Studies have shown that these devices generally do not work as advertised. In fact, they may actually increase RF absorption in the head due to their potential to interfere with proper operation of the phone, thus forcing it to increase power to compensate."

While you are fretting so, consider that your wireless phone in the home also generates microwave radiation. Well, mine does. And there is a chance that some of those gathered here have radon issues that are real issues because radon is a bad thing.

Upvote 0
That case is just what iPhone4 on AT&T users need, something that makes it even HARDER to make a phone call! I keed, I keed. But really, it seems like that case is only going to block radiation leaving the back and sides of the phone, but the radiation coming out of the screen will still come out, and if you have that pointed at your head,then that case does nothing useful at all, just kills your signal strength.

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0

Technically, lead is only for gamma radiation. Steel is used for beta, and water is used for neutron. :cool:

Intelligence is used for Paris Hilton rays:D

Upvote 0
Right after the Japan Nuclear incident earlier this year, xkcd put out a comparison chart of radiation levels. It said that you'd have to live next to a nuclear plant for over a year to equal the amount from eating a banana or something like that... I'll link it.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/blag/radiation_450.png

Just looked at the chart again. I'm way off. But, it looks like you'd have to eat about 100 bananas to equal the background radiation the average Amercian gets in one day.

Upvote 0
Technically, lead is only for gamma radiation. Steel is used for beta, and water is used for neutron. :cool:

Intelligence is used for Paris Hilton rays:D

Problem is you would need 2 Albert Einsteins and 1.2 Stephen Hawkings (or 20 Neil deGrasse Tysons) to counter act the amount of Paris Hilton Rays (measured in stupidogens) the average American is exposed to daily!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones