• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Don't forget to remove the plastic film on the back of the screen

So after going back and forth for days, (seriously) I finally did the deed and removed it. I was amazed at how easily it came off with just a static cling. Makes me think that it was meant to be peeled. I was worried that it would peel/flake over time and gum up the works so...bye bye film! Mine feels a little smoother but by no means loose.

Upvote 0
I used to have a job when I was a kid in a factory. I worked all day long peeling this type of protective film of Plexiglas and painted metal parts prior to the product being packaged. I guess now a days they just decide to leave it on there instead of paying a kid to remove it .

Yes, see, they are avoiding child labor law violations! :0)

I think as with all other glossy finishes (and this one is nice and pretty), they want you to have it in pristine condition so they cover it up. Imagine getting a device complete with fingerprints from the packagers!

Upvote 0
Yes, see, they are avoiding child labor law violations! :0)

I think as with all other glossy finishes (and this one is nice and pretty), they want you to have it in pristine condition so they cover it up. Imagine getting a device complete with fingerprints from the packagers!

when that's your job there's no finger prints to leave- all the oil and half the skin is work off your fingers after about 15 minutes- laughing.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't have my Droid yet, but I just got back from the Verizon store whose floor model Droid still had the film on. After looking at all the bubbles and creases in the film, and then peeling it off, it's quite obvious that this is meant to come off! I'm now surprised why this was such a big debate!? :D

Upvote 0
I noticed it when I first got the phone, but it looked far too permanent and I thought I'd just leave it on. But now, after reading this thread, I realize that once you get a corner of it up, it comes off way too easily to be meant to be permanent. And you know what, the phone looks a lot sexier without it! Unfortunately, it's just one more surface that my OCD is telling me I'm going to have to polish incessantly to make it free of those evil fingerprints! ;)

Upvote 0
I noticed it when I first got the phone, but it looked far too permanent and I thought I'd just leave it on. But now, after reading this thread, I realize that once you get a corner of it up, it comes off way too easily to be meant to be permanent. And you know what, the phone looks a lot sexier without it! Unfortunately, it's just one more surface that my OCD is telling me I'm going to have to polish incessantly to make it free of those evil fingerprints! ;)

Yeah, I actually thought it would be a firmer piece of plastic, but it's just a protective film, which on the model I saw at the store already had a lot of wear n tear on it and was peeling off/bubbling. This means that those who left it on will eventually need to remove it anyway. :p

Boy, we're all geeks.

Upvote 0
So... does anyone have streaks on the plastic where it has been rubbing? No?? Hmmm.... Must not actually touch anything then huh? Take it off!!! :D

Actually yes, I can take a pic if you'd like me to prove it. I've had my droid for about 3 weeks now and it definitely rubs. I'm very inclined to think this is a friction modifier to make it slide nicely.

Upvote 0
I peeled mine last night thanks to this thread. I am noticing a slight squeak now when I slide the keyboard, but I discovered that it's being caused by one of the tabs on the Body Glove case. The plastic must have been deadening the sound originally. I guess it's a good thing I'm ditching the Body Glove once my Phantom Skinz get here!

so how is your phantom skinz working out for you?

Upvote 0
so how is your phantom skinz working out for you?

I literally just powered on my phone after putting the Phantom Skinz on. Works fantastic. Take your time, do it right and no problems at all. I've come from many Invisible Shields (Zagg) on my other devices and this one is much much much less "squishy". It does not affect your screen or the touch sensibility at all. Very happy so far.

Upvote 0
And what shall you all do with this information? 3 days out of the box.:)
100_1820.jpg

Upvote 0
I was definitely cracking up reading this thread. All these posts over a piece of plastic!! How in the world all these people can fill three pages of comments over a piece of film? These must be the most paranoid, OCD bunch of people around!

Then I immediately signed up! I should fit right in here.

For the record as I was tearing up from laughing so hard about the conversation I realized that I could not bring myself to remove the plastic from mine. I guess its the finality of it. I eventually mustered the courage to pull it off (after donning protective goggles and contamination suit of course) and there is absolutely not difference other than the sliding is a bit smoother and it looks considerably nicer.

Upvote 0
So after going back and forth for days, (seriously) I finally did the deed and removed it. I was amazed at how easily it came off with just a static cling. Makes me think that it was meant to be peeled. I was worried that it would peel/flake over time and gum up the works so...bye bye film! Mine feels a little smoother but by no means loose.

I love it, "So after going back and forth for days". If this is your biggest concern in your life, that's great. I just removed mine and you know what, I'm still breathing. Great post. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks BB I'll have to check that out. And to un(eight)elievable? Sorry my ocd has left a bad taste in your mouth, but as a college student paying my way I can assure you I have a life outside of these forums, thanks.

i guess the post was did not relay my intention because it sound like you were offended. i'm sure you have interests other than your phone, i just find it amusing that this is something to contemplate. oh well, some people are really sensitive and take themselves too serious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones