1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

"Don't hold the phone that way, that's all."

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Psychokitty, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Android Enthusiast

OK, so we've all heard/read & had a good laugh about the iPhone's antennae debacle with Apple telling customers not to hold the phone in such a manor as to touch the outside edge of it. Uh-huh...:rolleyes:
    -But still, much as I love my Droid and have learned well to work around its quirks for the year I've had it, I find myself covering that damned (stupid *%#$@!...) secondary microphone in the back during calls. I don't mean sealing it air tight, either. It seems just having your finger within half an inch of it is enough to make anyone on the other end of your call ask you to repeat yourself because you sound like you have a mouthful of marbles.

So-
    Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I don't mean a solution as in, "Read the 4 epic 10 page threads on this old topic, none of which conclude anything at all."; I mean has anyone tried modifying their Droid, either software wise or hardware wise to fix this ridiculous problem?
    I'm about ready to cut the damned hole bigger!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Eh? You mean the noise cancellation thingy on the back where the speaker is?

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

Dude the second mic for noise cancellation is all the way up near the headphone jack. How is your hand covering that? You must have NBA sized hands or something. I honestly can't say that I've experienced the same problem that you are.

4. sergey

sergey Android Enthusiast

Just don't hold the phone that way, that's all :D

But seriously, I've never had that problem and none of my droid-toting friends have had any issues with that. I didn't even know we had a 2nd mic!

5. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Me, either. WHERE is it supposed to be? I'm not seeing any holes or anything for it.

6. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member

Personally I usually have my bluetooth on so I've never had to worry about it.

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

It's on that top soft-touch bevel that's above the camera. Look very carefully along the upper seam and you'll see a tiny, tiny hole. That's it. ;)

[​IMG]

JonnyK429 and (G) like this.
  8. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Holy cow... never saw that before!

9. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast

well, now I don't feel so stupid. lol. I dind't know it was there either!!!

10. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

LOL! Had to get my glasses out and put them on over my contacts to see that tiny thing. Learned something new today. I never had any complaints about not being able to understand me on my phone but I will me careful how I hold it from now on anyway. Thanks for the information!

11. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Android Enthusiast

Right, well, I'll take that as a "no".
    Once again, thanks for everyones help.

12. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

I highly doubt that it can be fixed with any software update on our end; that's an issue in the phone's firmware, most likely. As for a hardware fix, you would have to try cutting into the plastic, as you said. I really don't think anyone's ever considered doing this so you won't find documentation on it and as a result, there won't be anyone that's able to help you.

13. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Android Enthusiast

That its time for another eye exam?

Exactly. Its time to take off the follower undies and strap on your Big Boy, Name not even sewn in them, Buzz Lightyear, LEADER undies!!!! Be a pioneer, take one for the team, This ones.... for the skipper!
    We have faith in you! and should the rocky road lead your Droid to doom... we shall honor it with mockery and bad jokes.

14. Jimnut

Jimnut Newbie

I have never had any complaints from anyone not being able to understand what I am saying. I'm also using a full case that completely covers the "2nd" microphone. I think there is something else wrong with your phone if your are experiencing that kind of trouble.

Just my $.02

15. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Sorry SinfulDragon, my eyesight really is bad. I am still not sure I saw that 2nd microphone on my own phone. But that doesn't help PsychoKitty. Sorry PsychoKitty.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews