• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't know if I should download 2.1

I used the Damageless 2.1.zip which is the leaked 2.1 with Root. In doing this it allows me to go back to 1.5 if I am not satisfied. IMO you should just Root and then flash a 2.1 ROM and see how you like it. No harm done this way cause you can always go back.

Where might I find instructions on installing the Damageless 2.1 zip, as well as going back to my 1.5 if I don't like the changes? My biggest fear about doing the 2.1 update is the loss of basic phone functions - receiving and making calls. :eek:

Thanks

Upvote 0
Where might I find instructions on installing the Damageless 2.1 zip, as well as going back to my 1.5 if I don't like the changes? My biggest fear about doing the 2.1 update is the loss of basic phone functions - receiving and making calls. :eek:

Thanks

If the phone aspect is all your worry about then you will be fine,thats the first think i check for with my phone the only issue i'm having is turning off the vibration on the dialer other than that everything else is great and im not rooted.

Upvote 0

Thanks

Here's a handy dandy guide that will walk you through the process. It's not as difficult as you might think. Just read it over at least once and then follow the instructions. Also, the guys over at the root forum will be more than happy to give you any assistance.

Reactions: r-sky
Upvote 0
I'm thinking of getting the update soon. I would like to root it but my computer is too old to sync to my phone and I don't wanna mess with someone else's computer to do it. Someone told me in another thread that just got closed that I didn't need a PC to change ROMs and possibly not to root. When I read through the rooting procedure, I was pretty sure a computer was needed. Can anyone verify this?

Onto a question I have about the official 2.1 since I'm probly getting it from a Sprint store tomorrow. After the update, with a clean phone, how much memory will I have left? Right I use internal memory widget and it tells me I have X/159mb available. I usually keep X around 70 or so. Will the update take up more space and I'll have less than the 159mb I have available now?

Upvote 0
Not sure on the age, we got it from my wife's job a few years ago when they updated their systems. It says Compaq on the tower and it runs Windows 2000.

And you both own a Hero and Moment? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems like an odd mix. I mean even my dad has an up-to-date computer, but he wouldn't know what to do with a smart phone. :cool:

Upvote 0
What can I say, I'm a cheapskate:) I only use my PC for browsing forums and playing poker, so I can't justify $600 - 1000 for a new one (we paid $150 3 years ago for our current one).

These phones are the first time we didn't take the freebies that they give you with a contract. The only reason we spent the money for them was because we got gift cards for Xmas and the phones only cost $200 for the 2 of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones