1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Don't let this happen to you! (advice for my fellow noobs)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by giraffe999, Dec 3, 2010.

1. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Philly!
    I had a good rooting experience, but made a few mistakes with setting up my phone once it was rooted that I want to pass along to my fellow noobs so they don't have to repeat my errors.

I just switched over from an Eris, and according to titanium backup FAQ, you can restore to an entirely different phone! Well apparently it's a bad idea to restore all your apps and data to an entirely different model phone with an entirely different operating system --- the whole OS became super unstable and practically every app (incl Android) was constantly FC-ing. After a hard reset,
    I was more judicious in what I restored, but still used titanium backup to delete bloatware like I did on my Eris. That made the wifi stop working.

Another restore later, I just used launcher pro to hide the bloatware....it's still there but I don't see it (and thus it can't bother me...I think). I only used titanium backup to restore data for a few applications. I know the experienced folks here know how to do things the right way, but if you're a noob like me, hopefully this will help you avoid some frustrations.

Advertisement

2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    i am guessing you restored the system data too. that would be a big no no. You can restore non system apps and data only i would think

3. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Philly!
    Yep...first time around I just flat out restored everything. That's when all hell broke loose.

Second time, I only did non-system apps and data. That's when everything worked but the wifi. I also deleted the bloatware, though, which could have screwed up the wifi too.