1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

don't receive texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pcsrcan, Sep 24, 2014.

1. pcsrcan

pcsrcan Lurker

I got my Nexus 5 last week. I have been using iPhone before. How can I text with my friends that don't have hangouts? I downloaded Textra, can send text to other apple users but don't receive them. My husband uses apple, I texted him from Textra, he received it. He texted me back, my iPad received it, not my Nexus 5. I'm in Canada.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

A true SMS should be able to go thru' using any app on your device, to another device.

Hangouts can send/receive true SMS, but can also send/receive hangouts messages (over data).
    When you send the SMS from your phone using hangouts, make sure you are sending the message to the recipient's mobile phone# (not their Email ID). That way, the message will be sent using SMS protocols (not hangouts), and your recipients will be able to receive the message and respond back to you (and you should receive the message in the hangouts app). Textra can't do hangouts messages, but can handle SMS just fine.

Since you switched over from iPhone to Android (welcome BTW), you may be dealing with a bug that Apple supposedly fixed recently. Basically, you need to disable iMessage on your iPhones before you switch - else, iMessage holds your number 'hostage'

Read more at Fix iMessage: iPhone switchers can’t receive SMS — how to fix | BGR
    Extract from that site: "First, users have to disable iMessage on their iPhones. .....
    ..... the post goes on to explain how to remove your phone number from iCloud. Even that doesn’t always do the trick, however, and sometimes it’s a good idea to have family members and close friends delete your number from their phones and then add it again once you’ve taken the aforementioned steps."

Crashdamage and xdrc45 like this.
  3. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

Yeah, it is the fault of Apple and their "closed system". A friend of mine has a iPhone and he has to communicate with me via email until he gets rid of it. One of the major issues with Apple IMO

4. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast

I've heard about this tactic on the part of Apple.

If Apple claim to be market leaders, why do they feel the need to hold people 'hostage'?

5. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Agreed... At the same time, why do people also feel that they too need to be held hostage by apple! :thinking: Why not just break free and join the android world?
    Don't get me wrong I love Android and everything about it. I currently own 6 android phones and 3 android tables. My Nexus 5 is by far my all time favorite phone I've ever used... Hands down! There are so many options with Android, Root, Rwcovery, ROMs, kernel's, modifications, guaranteed update support and on and on!! :thumbup:

I also owned 2 of the best Windows phones, a HTC HD2 (The Beast of All Phone's) and dual booted windows 7.8 and Android all on one phone. I then had an HTC HD7 (the predessor to the HD2) and development was huge for both these nearly impossible devices to crack. (Which I achieved full Unlock and root) 2 of the best and most reliable phones I've ever owned and I must say that HTC makes Good Devices.

Android in recent has made leaps and bounds in development and soon we will even have a new OS to run, tweak and modify. The community, device data base and AF has grown in large numbers and will continue to do so, with our fantastic new members helpful members, developer's and staff here... We have a Wonderful community/Family here and a wealth of knowledge! Plus Android is Open Source where Apple is Closed Source.

JBentleyR likes this.
  6. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

^^^^^ @xdrc45 - Amen! :)

7. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

FIFY ;)

8. pcsrcan

pcsrcan Lurker

I called apple and they disassociate my phone number to my apple Id. I waited 2 days and I can receive text a now.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews