• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dorimanx kernel - Dummies Guide

Dorimanx kernels v5.90 (ICS/JB) & v7.4 (JB) are up! :)

"Kernel 5.90 ICS + JB (OLD! no updated MALI video drivers!)

Kernel 7.4 JB ONLY! + New MALI video Driver!

Change Log.

*Patched JB SQL lib to perform 300% faster! by using SYNC at the end of insertions and not on each change.
Performance greatly increased! (on JB MALI roms!) (kernel 5.90 already has the SQL patch)
*Added new function that will mount the USB drives to internal sdcard and external!
You need to switch to USB mass storage in settings > storage > menu
then turn off the screen, connect USB, (screen will turn ON) and see if your sdcards now exist in "my computer"
No more need for all DUAL MOUNT apps! (no one works on JB any way!)
*Disabled IPv6 on all interfaces! (Data,WIFI,VPN)
*Tuned Slide2Wake function
*Reverted some battery draining commits, now much better! battery lasts more!
*Updated WIFI code from SG3 JB source! + some reverts to WIFI driver + adding PWR manager back to 7.4 kernel wifi driver!
*Small tweak to Vibrate Driver by GM!
*Tuned LulzactiveQ GOV by Robertobsc
*Fixed All Gestures Actions + restore to extreme profiles by Mario! THANKS ALLOT! for help
To get new updated file, use extweaks Audio+Swipes TAB.
*Ported HUGE update to BLOCK I/O code from legend Dev Faux123!
Now we have FIOPS I/O scheduler and it's set as DEFAULT screen ON sched!
*New Updated BFQ v4 for 3.3.y kernel (US)
*New updated CFQ I/O Sched.
*Fixed CRT Anim, now no flicks on lock screen.
*Some NET updates for stability.
*Fixed second core not ON when Max freq is set to 800Mhz! do not touch the LOAD_H0 or L1 all set at best!
Lower freq than 800! will not have second core.
*Fixed DATA/Cache partition tuning + Clean in case asked!

Please RESET PROFILES, and dont restore, just tune what you like and use.
your OLD backup is not VALID! when all set do new settings backup in extweaks.

DUAL BOOT not added to 7.4 JB!
will be added on next kernel!
"

(I would recommend using Hawker's GS2Wiper and resetting ExTweaks in Recovery, as per post #1)

FIOPS scheduler explained. For an explanation of other governors and schedulers see the links in post #1.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Something's up. I've flashed the RootBox JB ROM after a HawkerNuke which worked fine. I then did a HawkerWipe and flashed Dorimanx 5.9 (the latest one), and my phone now refuses to turn on. I can pull the battery and restart, I see the Samsung / yellow triangle boot screen, a blue line proceeds halfway across the screen and then i see the Dorimanx boot screen. I see this for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes black and that's all she wrote. Nothing. I have to pull the battery again to reset and start all over again... Any ideas?

(I was thinking about restarting in recovery, restoring AndyROM, and downloading Dorimanx 7.4 to try again, but firstly I can't remember how to get into CWM Recovery from cold - sorry! and secondly I'm not sure if the kernel - or lack thereof - will let me into CWM!)

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Something's up. I've flashed the RootBox JB ROM after a HawkerNuke which worked fine. I then did a HawkerWipe and flashed Dorimanx 5.9 (the latest one), and my phone now refuses to turn on. I can pull the battery and restart, I see the Samsung / yellow triangle boot screen, a blue line proceeds halfway across the screen and then i see the Dorimanx boot screen. I see this for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes black and that's all she wrote. Nothing. I have to pull the battery again to reset and start all over again... Any ideas?

(I was thinking about restarting in recovery, restoring AndyROM, and downloading Dorimanx 7.4 to try again, but firstly I can't remember how to get into CWM Recovery from cold - sorry! and secondly I'm not sure if the kernel - or lack thereof - will let me into CWM!)

You say you did a Nuke then a wipe, but did you do a ROMWipe or a KernelWipe?
It seems to me you have run a ROMWipe which removes /system.

Removing /system shouldn't affect your ability to get into upload mode. If you can get into upload mode, then reflash your ROM. If you cant get into upload mode you will have to flash samsung firmware in download mode.

Upload mode: hold VOL-UP+HOME+POWER
Download mode: hold VOL-DOWN+HOME+POWER

Hold all 3 buttons (pressing in the above order) until you see something come up on the screen, then release all 3.

Reactions: turbohobbit
Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernel v7.8 for ICS/JB is up! :)

(N.B. Dorimanx v5.x is no longer supported for ICS/JB so switch to above)

"Change Log.
*Restored WIFI changes back to original CM code.
*Updated GPU ION code from 3.4.Y
*Fixed Cortex CPU tuning, now it's WORKS as expected.
*Added new tuning to GPU Utilization Timeout. (how often to check GPU load and boost Freq+voltage)
*Updated new Recovery LOGO by crazy silver.
*Fixed Dual Boot reboot to ROM 1 or 2 from extweaks.
*Tuned BUS Freq threshold on sleep and on awake, we do not need to get 400Mhz on each touch. it's waste of power. best to leave it on 80!(threshold that will keep bus at 133Mhz as long as possible, then jump to 200 and to 400!)
*Allowed to use 1.6Ghz via extweak, but for 70% of devices, this freq will SOD the CPU! I hope people will read my description. (if stable on 1.5Ghz, try the 1.6Ghz, if SOD! forget it! nothing can be done. CPU not supported for high OC.)
*Tuned Touch screen, now it's no longer shatter up/down in some app that scroll allot.
*Corrected Sound levels on boot, should help to low speaker sound in JB ROMS.
*Added/changed descriptions in extweaks menu.
*Balanced HYPER and Ondemand GOVS.
*Updated Code for SYNC driver, it's used for MALI video driver. from 3.4.y
*Ported Commit for GM SG3 that add lost brightness levels for some panel types.
*Re tuned GPU step 5, and set it to 267 by default, 400Mhz can be unstable for many devices.
*Tuned Sched Core (CFS) tuning for sleep mode.

Battery drain should be better now(lower drain)
"

Have been using Dorimanx v5.92 and, now v7.8, for the last two weeks and I have to say it has been faultless as well as giving me the best battery life, by far, that I have ever experienced on my phone in normal use, i.e. not fiddling!

(P.S. ExTweaks has just been updated in Play Store)

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
After using Hawker's GS2Kernelwiper I've Just come to this from Siyah 4.1.4 (I couldn't get on with 4.1.5 or the V5 betas), now I'm an odd one, I'm never (and I mean never) without a charger next to me. On the lappy ATM and my SGSII is sat charging via USB, in the car or work van it is charging, while I'm in bed it's charging. So as a consequence I run it for performance and make it fly, unless battery drops rapidly I'm honestly not bothered:)

I like the myriad of options you have in Ex-Tweaks(pro) with Dorimanx 7.8, so far it flys and while not quite as "fluid" as my sisters stock SGSIII (also sat next to me - I'm having a drool...I mean play) it seems after tweaking to be as fast. I have the "extreme_performance" profile set and it's over clocked to 150000kHz, with both cores active. Everything else except BLN (which I use) is default. I could tweak everything to the max but with Siyah I never noticed any difference doing so, only the settings altered seem to make much difference to me.

I will try Siyah V5.0 when it comes out, seeing how it's Gokhanmoral's last kernel (and who can blame him - XDA barstewards) and no doubt will be a work of art.

Upvote 0
I have the "extreme_performance" profile set and it's over clocked to 150000kHz, with both cores active.

There's your problem... if you want over clocking, use performance or extreme_performance and not extreme_battery which is designed for battery conservation. I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it, as we say.

Upvote 0
There's your problem... if you want over clocking, use performance or extreme_performance and not extreme_battery which is designed for battery conservation. I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it, as we say.

I think you misread ironass old bean ! I'm not using extreme_battery, I'm using extreme_performance to get ultimate performance. As I said the loss of battery does not worry me, unless I watch it drop before my eyes like it did on Siyah 4.1.5.

As I said I'm odd, the conservation of battery while maintaining performance seems to be the holy grail (and rightly so) of users and kernel developers. Me I just make it run as fast as perceivably possible, and to hell with the battery life !

Upvote 0
I think you misread ironass old bean ! I'm not using extreme_battery, I'm using extreme_performance to get ultimate performance.

The old man ain't getting any younger mate and he's that pumped up with drugs these days I'm surprised he can even turn his handset on!

I found dori 5.92 excellent in terms of performance and battery using extreme battery profile using all stock values apart from adding bln support, similar to yourself.

Now trying the 7 series for the first time now that 7.8 supports ics, so see how this compares....

Upvote 0
My bad, old stick!

As it's one of the Bonfire nights, I'm in a dimly lit stables... horse sitting!

Don't ask!

I shan't, but I think I understand. My little lad (4 in December), chucks himself all over, jumps over walls, climbs trees and gets his Dad stuck while getting down easily himself hates fireworks. The most innocuous damp Squibb of a firework send him running away. A bit like me when asked
"what do you think of the iPhone then?"

Upvote 0
"Kernel 7.9 ICS + JB MALI

Change Log:

*People with touch screen model MX224E will get better touch response,
One Korean Dev found a way to improve the driver by disabling some filter code.
For all with Older MX244 touch screen all OK, nothing changed.
How to know what you have? lets say we cant know. it's a part. thats all.
*Updated from latest GM source optimization for Slide2Wake tweak,
Now it's drain less power, and works great, any time, and can unlock only by straight line. all credits to GM!
*Updated Lulzactive GOV by Robertobsc see GIT. and test, let me know
*New Sharpness tweak enabled by default by GM! it's works on/off after reboot,
need to test and work on it some more, it's only doing light visual effect, do not expect some super change, it's nice, thats all,
*Tuned cortex + cleaning
*Added option to enable/disable init.d run scripts. some roms do that by auto, then we X2 all scripts, not so good. init.d run is off by default.
*Fixed low volume on boot from speaker on JB ROMS, no need to lower and rise to fix it.
*Tuned touch screen. more stable on scrolling.
*Added option to Reinstall/Update extweaks from extweaks
*Fixed negative gesture bug, thanks for reports and good solution.
*Removed NO charge tweak, it's not working. for now.
*Updated Extweaks to 0.31
*Fixed Extweaks reload after restore or reset to profile from menu.
*Restored Recovery logo by crazysilver
*Tuned profiles and cortex to deliver more battery save on screen OFF/ON

to get new gestures script, restore it from extweaks Screen tab.
To get updated extweak installed to SYSTEM, use extweaks backup/restore tab.
"

Upvote 0
:hahaha:
I get a strange issue on this one on every boot, it adjusts the ringer volume as if i'm pressing the volume key up+down.

Also be aware, that init.d scripts are not run by default in this version. You need to tick the option in eXtweaks under the Misc tab. Doing this got rid of my ringer volume going up/down by itself on boot.

I see what you mean old boy. I've tried checking the init.d option in Misc: in ExTweaks but I still get the phantom ringer adjust on boot up. Only lasts a second or two. I also tried your GSKernelWipe and re-installed Dorimanx v7.9 but it still persists. Finally, I wiped my ExTweak settings and re-did them and that did not help either. It seems that Dorimanx has this as a built-in feature that he may revise in the next release for ICS ROM's. See, here.

Also, here...

"for the ringtone fix, i have just used simple stupid HACK
i have lowered vol 3 step down and rise 4 set up in boot script,
same as if you pushed the vol down and up to fix the low sound,
"

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernel v7.11 for ICS/JB is up! :)

Don't worry Hawker... I'll post the changelog! :rolleyes:

"Change Log:

*Changed Kernel Name. not state in name MALI, but it's INCLUDE IT.
*Fixed WIFI Tether and added updates to WIFI driver.
*Fixed USB file transfer stability. should be ok for all now. + updates.
*Tuned Touch screen settings, but any one can tune as he like via extweaks
Screen TAB.
*Added option to enable/disable IPv6 support, normally we dont need it, so it's OFF, but if any one need, see CORTEX tab in extweaks.
*Updated descriptions for extweaks/Stweaks.
*Updated to LINARO 12.10 GCC 4.7.3 kernel builder.
*Lowered wakeup boots delay to 4~5 sec, it's more than we need to maximize wakeup.
"

Download, here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones