• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dose Lookout Mobile Security actually work?

Mitchell4500

Android Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2010
USA
I have downloaded this app because Iv been downloading some other apps directly from the web. And I Know the risks. I also want Lookout for the GPS locating features and stuff in case it is stolen.

My question to you is... Dose the Virus Scanning part actually work? It claims its scanning all my Apps but is there actually a virus definition database this application uses? Or is this just a gimmick to make people feel safe?

I'm sure Lookout has some virus database that they check against. Lookout does scan (or at least pretends to scan) apps when you download them. The question is whether Lookout's virus definitions are updated quickly enough to reasonably prevent viruses. I did a bunch of research on that topic before I installed Lookout, but I couldn't find any good, independent evaluation of Android anti-virus apps, where somebody actually tested the apps against known viruses. If you read the user comments for each of the antivirus apps available, you seem to get a bunch of people who say it's great and a bunch of people who say it doesn't work. But nobody has done a comprehensive side-by-side test.

CNet gives Lookout a good review, but didn't actually seem to put its antivirus capabilities to the test.
Lookout Mobile Security for Android - Free Android software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I don't think that there's a huge virus threat, and Lookout's lost-phone feature is cool, it may help with viruses, and doesn't seem to slow the phone down, so I've kept Lookout installed. I'll look forward to the day when some independent site evaluates antivirus software for Android, like the following site does for PC antivirus software.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones