1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

dowloading movies to ext sd

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by moira2612, Apr 19, 2012.

1. moira2612

moira2612 Lurker

Hi,
    I am very new to Android, have used it on my htc phone for a few apps. I now have just bought a tablet with Android 4.0 and am having fun. But I wish to watch movies and am having trouble getting some movies to play. I have got 2 movies on an ext sd card in both mpeg & avi formats. These both play on both the internal video player and the MX player app I downloaded. The problem is when I add any other movies regardless of format they will not play on either player. The sd card is 32gb so I don't think this is a storage problem. I also cannot get the ext sd to accept mp3 music. It downloads then disappears as soon as I return the card to the tablet tho music stores and plays from the internal sd.
    Any suggestions as to how to solve this would be useful as 2 movies will not be sufficient entertainment when away from home.
    Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

Hello and welcome to AF as well as the Android Team.

My best guess for you would be to copy the movies back to your PC (or if they alread there that's fine) and then format your SD card and try putting movies on it again and playing them. Maybe try some different movies and see if they play in MX Player or the stock player.

Sounds like some corruption happened to the card or filesystem and a format might fix it.

moira2612 and pastafarian like this.
  3. moira2612

moira2612 Lurker

Thanks Stigy,
    I have tried those suggestions and nothing makes any difference. I guess I will keep trying

4. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

May I ask the specs of your SD card? Is it a class 2 or class 4?

I wonder if the HD movies need a faster SD card to access the data from the card to the device.

5. moira2612

moira2612 Lurker

Hi Stigy,
    I have absolutely no idea what class of sd card it is. It is Transcend, micro sdhc 32gb it's also got a 10 on it whatever that means. How do I find out what class it is,
    thanks for your reply
    M

6. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

If the 10 is in a circle then it means its a Class 10 card, so that rules that out since that should be MORE than fast enough for your need.

I would try to not put those two specific movies on the card and try loading it with some other videos and see if those play and see if you can get more than 2 on the card.

7. moira2612

moira2612 Lurker

Hi Stigy,
    I have finally come to the conclusion that this is a faulty sd card as having located an 8gb sd card I have been able to download movies and photos to my tablet.
    thanks for all your help.

8. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

No problem - glad you got it all sorted out!