• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Down grading my PRI??

Well, when you partition, it's going to wipe out everything on the card, so back it up first. Of course, in order to use the partition with a2sd (presumably that's what you're going to do with it), you'd need a ROM first. Honestly, it doesn't matter which one you do first. Just remember that you have to copy all your stuff back over once the partition is done.

Upvote 0
Well there isnt much on the card now just these folders:
.android_secure
.footprints
LOST.DIR
nandroid
and a txt file soff.log

i already have my contacts backed up on pc, unless i have to copy those folders and txt file to pc? then re add them when im done?

.android_secure is used by froyo apps2sd and a temp location for downloading apps. As long as you have no apps copied to the sdcard that way, no need to worry about it. It'll be recreated.

.footprints is...well...pretty self explanatory. If there's anything in there, you can back it up if you want. I don't think it'll matter much.

LOST.DIR probably has nothing in it.

nandroid is the backups you just made. Obviously back it up.

soff.log is the log file created by unrevoked. You don't need it.

Upvote 0
.android_secure is used by froyo apps2sd and a temp location for downloading apps. As long as you have no apps copied to the sdcard that way, no need to worry about it. It'll be recreated.

.footprints is...well...pretty self explanatory. If there's anything in there, you can back it up if you want. I don't think it'll matter much.

LOST.DIR probably has nothing in it.

nandroid is the backups you just made. Obviously back it up.

soff.log is the log file created by unrevoked. You don't need it.

that nandroid folder has 3 other folders in it, might of been when i was trying backup first time and it put those folders in there, cause i can see the TIME it was created.. so i just copyied the WHOLE nandroid folder to desktop on my latop

Upvote 0
that nandroid folder has 3 other folders in it, might of been when i was trying backup first time and it put those folders in there, cause i can see the TIME it was created.. so i just copyied the WHOLE nandroid folder to desktop on my latop

Yes, if it dies in the middle of a backup, you'll still have the rest of the backup, but it will probably be corrupt. Delete the first two that you know are no good. Since it died towards the end, it probably is just taking up a bunch of space.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you might want to consider either not using a2sd (for moving apps) or getting a faster card. You could have some noticeable lag with a class 2. That being said, you can at least do:

su
a2sd cachepart

That will move your dalvik cache to the /cache partition, and clear up 60 MB or so off /data. If you get a faster card, you can move dalvik to the sdcard along with apps. Until then, it would probably be a good idea to not bother partitioning your card.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you might want to consider either not using a2sd (for moving apps) or getting a faster card. You could have some noticeable lag with a class 2. That being said, you can at least do:

su
a2sd cachepart

That will move your dalvik cache to the /cache partition, and clear up 60 MB or so off /data. If you get a faster card, you can move dalvik to the sdcard along with apps. Until then, it would probably be a good idea to not bother partitioning your card.

Yea, cause i dont download a bunch of apps, just a few if that,
so dont do anything else in recovery besides flash my kernal?

Upvote 0
HAHA oops i was on here xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] - [01/15/2011] - MikFroYo v4.4 - ReEngineered Sense - Simply Faster. reading and i ran terminal and put this in it

su a2sd nocache

hope i didnt screw anything up? seems to be running fine so far after it rebooted

Not a big deal. that probably didn't anything anyway, did it? Those are two separate commands - su, then a2sd nocache. Either way, all that's meant to do is move dalvik cache back to internal storage on /data. Do you want it in /data (default) or /cache?

Upvote 0
Not a big deal. that probably didn't anything anyway, did it? Those are two separate commands - su, then a2sd nocache. Either way, all that's meant to do is move dalvik cache back to internal storage on /data. Do you want it in /data (default) or /cache?

which is best? when i ran the command you gave me in terminal after it went through it didnt reboot just stopped at # something like that

and when i did it off that site it ran then rebooted

Upvote 0
which is best? when i ran the command you gave me in terminal after it went through it didnt reboot just stopped at # something like that

and when i did it off that site it ran then rebooted

Well, it's all internal, so you may as well move it to /cache to clear up usable space on /data. There's no reason not to. Go ahead and reboot, verify that dalvik was moved to cache.

The easiest way to do that is to open a terminal and type these commands:

ls -al /data|grep .dcpartition
mount|grep cache
df -h|grep cache

Let me know the output of those commands, and I can tell you if it worked right or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones