• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root downgrade 2.3.3 without rooting???

hi, qiuck question:thinking:
I have a galaxy s running official 2.3.3 gingerbread version xxjvo, and i really hate gingerbread. i want to downgrade to froyo. can i do this without rooting my phone (cuz i dont want to do that).
thanks
Those of us still in Froyo are looking forward to when KIES will finally find the grace to release Gingerbread in regions they haven't yet, so when I stumble on a post like yours which appears to indicate that 2.3.3 is not so hot after all, it would help if you clarified why you want to go back to a lower version. Please tell us

Upvote 0
Those of us still in Froyo are looking forward to when KIES will finally find the grace to release Gingerbread in regions they haven't yet, so when I stumble on a post like yours which appears to indicate that 2.3.3 is not so hot after all, it would help if you clarified why you want to go back to a lower version. Please tell us

well it make the galaxy s laggish, it gives low quadrant scores, my phone seems to crash more, Its hard to root because gingerbread is still new, gingerbread isnt clearing my ram properly so i have to do it manually, gingerbread was a flop but i heard they are releasing gingerbread 2.3.4 but I not sure of upgrading because they might imporve security which may mean it will be hader for me to root

Upvote 0

mate if i wer u i wouldnt get so happy about gingerbread your just gonna be unhappy when you upgrade, take my advice dont upgrade you will be disapointed

Upvote 0
well it make the galaxy s laggish, it gives low quadrant scores, my phone seems to crash more, Its hard to root because gingerbread is still new, gingerbread isnt clearing my ram properly so i have to do it manually, gingerbread was a flop but i heard they are releasing gingerbread 2.3.4 but I not sure of upgrading because they might imporve security which may mean it will be hader for me to root

Using a custom ROM maybe?

P.S. lagfix (conversion of your partitions from RFS to ext4) helps A LOT on the slugishness agenda.

P.P.S. rooting Gingerbread is not really that big of a problem if you can access download mode (to flash a pre-rooted kernel).

P.P.P.S. Gingerbread, in my opinion, is a massive success over Froyo.

P.P.P.P.S. why do you clear your RAM? Is there a certain need to do it? Because RAM management is just fine on Gingerbread, way better than on Froyo (at least for me). Plus, you can always add custom made RAM scripts to your system.

Upvote 0
Found this thread as I was looking for exactly the same thing as the OP.

I've found gingerbread really drains my battery (with normal use, ie a few calls, texts and a bit of browsing, I'm getting about 5 hours maximum!) but worse is the problem with the compass.

since updating to gingerbread, the compass doesn't work. Google have released a temporary fix for Maps, but I don't use that so no good to me. I have an app called Dishpointer Pro, which locates satellites and relies on the compass.

Need to get back to Froyo quickly until I read that Gingerbread is working properly.

CG :)

Upvote 0
Not got any problems with Gingerbread as witnessed by the other posters.
RAM management is fine; battery consumption is actually better than on Froyo; lag issue is significantly better than on Froyo with faster responses.
Downside - the compass does not work on Gingerbread. Google have done a temporary fix to Maps to solve it but any other app that uses the compass will suffer.
(sorry just seen someone else has posted this - also does not work on 2.3.4)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones