1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Downgrade Email App

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JLR1970, Nov 25, 2014.

1. JLR1970

JLR1970 Lurker

I'm rooted, and have installed stock Lollipop, and for the most part enjoying the experience.

However I can't get used to having exchange email and gmail in the same app.

I'd like to downgrade my Email app back to the pre-Lollipop version.

I can get the old apk at apkmirror.com, but was wondering best way to uninstall the Lollipop version of Email before I try to install the old KitKat version?

Thanks,
    JLR

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Couldnt you leave the gmail app alone and just remove the non-gmail account from it? Then you could use the normal emaill app for the other emails while still retaining the material design gmail

3. JLR1970

JLR1970 Lurker

Yes, that is what I want to do. I like the Gmail app for Gmail.

But there is an app called "Email" in Lollipop, but all it does is bring up a screen that says Email has moved to Gmail. And I can't install the old version of Email with the new version onboard.

4. Hunter5

Hunter5 Android Enthusiast

Not sure I can help but only give you my experiences. Over tine with my LG Esteem, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 and now my N5. I have always used AquaMail, it does exchange, if that is what you need, and everything else. I have never had an issue with it and I like the way I can theme it. Just my opinion.

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

You could also try K-9 mail for your exchange accounts.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Whoops! You are absolutely right. I had never even opened the email app on lollipop since I knew gmail did both

7. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

8. JLR1970

JLR1970 Lurker

I'd love to uninstall the email app, but it won't let me since it is a system app. So I was looking for help with how to safely uninstall it.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

This thread is in the all things root section. Is the device rooted? If so you can download an app like titanium backup, grant it root access, and uninstall the app

Hook and lunatic59 like this.
  10. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

What's the point of saying in the op that your rootedo_O?

Like what Rxpert suggested, titanium backup has a batch option to select any app in your phone including system apps with rooted access. Uninstalling gmail wont do much harm, social apps like these are not what runs the operating system.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews