• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downgrade US996 from Oreo to Nougat.

Boowho

Mar 20, 2019
Please don't ask me WHY I want/need to do this.... It's not productive....

Accomplished the downgrade this afternoon. Every thing went well EXCEPT the device complained about NO SIM CARD INSTALLED after the downgrade even though it could see the SAME sim card before I downgraded.

So, scratched my head for a bit and then went back to Oreo. Found sim card just fine. WTF???

SIM card was in the device thru-out both flashes.....

Boowho???

Please don't ask me WHY I want/need to do this.... It's not productive....

Accomplished the downgrade this afternoon. Every thing went well EXCEPT the device complained about NO SIM CARD INSTALLED after the downgrade even though it could see the SAME sim card before I downgraded.

So, scratched my head for a bit and then went back to Oreo. Found sim card just fine. WTF???

SIM card was in the device thru-out both flashes.....

Boowho???

Was the phone's IMEI, MEID, etc. showing as blank, or all 0s, or invalid as well with Nougat? But a NO SIM error is often a baseband problem, which can be caused by flashing the wrong Nougat firmware for the LG V20 variant you've got.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The firmware for both version came right off LG's own FW DL site.

On the Nougat version the version can be no later than 10F.

On the OREO version I don't know if ANY version of of the FW is flashable.

Did not check the IMEI , MEID for blank or all 0. I'll continue to investigate.

Upvote 0
Well, the saga continues. I went back to Nougat this AM. No sim card missing message. However, screen shows 4G-LTE from Verizon (thru straight talk) but the phone app cannot get connected!! Again, WTF. I think this thing might be under the heading of paranormal.

Also, I cannot get USB debugging enabled under developer options.

And I can't make or receive voice calls but mobile data is OK.

I looked at what the phone app setting is and it says contacts.

It still puts out a "warning" screen at bootup that say the bootloader is unlocked. Second again, WTF???

Upvote 0
Well, the saga continues. I went back to Nougat this AM. No sim card missing message. However, screen shows 4G-LTE from Verizon (thru straight talk) but the phone app cannot get connected!! Again, WTF. I think this thing might be under the heading of paranormal.

Also, I cannot get USB debugging enabled under developer options.

And I can't make or receive voice calls but mobile data is OK.

I looked at what the phone app setting is and it says contacts.

It still puts out a "warning" screen at bootup that say the bootloader is unlocked. Second again, WTF???

That still sounds like a problem with the particular Nougat firmware you've loaded, assuming everything was still OK with Oreo.

This site lists 12 different Nougat ROMs for the V20 US996 phone variants, plus a few Oreo ROMs as well. But which is possibly the correct one for your phone, no idea.
https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-us996-firmwares/

Can't help any more than that. I've never had an LG phone, but the symptoms you've described can definitely be caused by a problem firmware.

It can't make phone calls but data is OK, that's very likely VoLTE isn't working, which can be a baseband firmware problem. But check that VoLTE is actually turned ON in the phone Settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From my original post starting this thread:

"Please don't ask me WHY I want/need to do this.... It's not productive...."

OK, in that case I don't think this thread will be any more productive than what's already been discussed, i.e. problems are caused by an incorrect Nougat ROM, that's it.

Perhaps someone else who's had experience with flashing ROMs on the U996 phones maybe able to assist more?

Subject is closed for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones