1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.1.1 safely?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by netrate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. netrate

netrate Newbie

Is there a safe way I can downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.1.1 ? (no loss of data)
    Is there a how-to out there?
    Also, after that is complete and I unlock my phone, can I upgrade back and not lose my data or info?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

No there is not. Any version starting with 4.3 introduces Knox to the S3. Trying to downgrade to any version of firmware older than what is currently on the phone will cause a hard brick, aka paper weight.

codesplice, Madbat, dynomot and 3 others like this.
  3. netrate

netrate Newbie

4. jojodaboss30

jojodaboss30 Lurker

5. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Just posting as not to be the only voice saying you'll hard brick your S3. @mydian is 100% correct.

mydian, codesplice and Jfalls63 like this.
  6. Actually, I have been trying to do this with a SGH-i747M 4.4.2 (Galaxy s3) and have not been successful but also have not bricked my device. I can always go back to a stock ROM and everything is fine. I want to go back to 4.1.1 because apparently with this OS version you can network unlock the phone. When I try loading a 4.1.1 ROM with Odin it fails with an "Auth" error and then I have to reflash stock ROM.. I'm thinking I need to change permissions somewhere but have no idea where. I have tried adb sideload but it comes back with "adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: closed". This is likely because I'm running 4.4.2.

#6 Quentin J Meek, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews