• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Downgrading Htc Incredible S to GB

nfsmw95

Lurker
Sep 1, 2012
Lately Im trying to get the ICS of my phone and put GB on it, because its acting very strange after the update. But I was searchin on the net and most people said I had to root it, before i could downgrade it. I barely know a thing about downgrading and rooting so could anybody explain some important things to me or just tell me what to do. I'd appreciate the help, cuzz my phone is almost unusable

Nfsmw95

Lately Im trying to get the ICS of my phone and put GB on it, because its acting very strange after the update. But I was searchin on the net and most people said I had to root it, before i could downgrade it. I barely know a thing about downgrading and rooting so could anybody explain some important things to me or just tell me what to do. I'd appreciate the help, cuzz my phone is almost unusable

Nfsmw95

Well, when you apply official updates from HTC, it updates a value call main-version on your phone. You can only install new updates or software that has a higher main-version number on an unrooted system.

You must root your system in order to change this main-version value so that ou can install older software or ROM such as going back to Gingerbread from ICS.

Upvote 0
Aah thank you very much! I'm looking at some sites, but they all have another way of rooting. Some of them are talking about "unlocked+s-on+root, or totally s-off" and others you have to download a program on your computer. Probably you got more versions of rooting the phone but wich one is the good one. My android version is 4.0.4

Upvote 0
Aah thank you very much! I'm looking at some sites, but they all have another way of rooting. Some of them are talking about "unlocked+s-on+root, or totally s-off" and others you have to download a program on your computer. Probably you got more versions of rooting the phone but wich one is the good one. My android version is 4.0.4

True S-Off is the best IMO. Since you have ICS you need to start the journey b unlocking the bootloader at HTCDEV.com. After that you can install a custom recovery and then you could flash custom, rooted ROMs but you have an extra step you need to do each time you change ROMs.

Or you can at this point run the Downgrade script and get true S-Off which will also allow you to flash custom ROMs much esier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones