1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

download android 2.2 for the eris?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by undone98, Aug 11, 2010.

1. undone98

undone98 Newbie

hi i'm on here for my parents who are looking forward to update their phones to 2.2 the only problem is their phone is the eris and i havent heard anything about that phone getting 2.2

i was hoping there were some downloads to:
    1) get 2.2 for the htc eris and 2) overclock the phone so it can be used as a wifi hotspot (my father's major reason for wanting 2.2)

any help with these issues will be greatly appreciated thank you :)

2. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast

Take a look at the "All Things Root" sub-forum. The only way to get 2.2 on an Eris currently is to root the phone. That is likely the only way to get it in the future as well.

3. The Eris will not get 2.2 officially. You will need to root. Wireless tether isn't available even on the Droid with the official 2.2. This leaves the high-end Android devices from VZW as the only ones with wireless tether stock.

Again, that is stock. You will need to root your Eris, but you don't necessarily need 2.2. You can do 2.1 and just download "Wireless Tether for root" from the Market. It's a free app. If wireless tether is all you're after, you don't have to jump to 2.2. You can get a stock 2.1-looking ROM and just put the tether app on there.

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Android Expert

Both ROM's I've used (Aloysius & Sense-able) are 2.1 and both came with wireless tether and overclocking.

5. shh

shh Member

If you root and are looking for 2.2 then you should try Punkkaos FroYo ver. 27. This is one of the best roms available at the present time. (IMO)

mrsjrbell likes this.
  6. DroidJW

DroidJW Guest

+1 Kaos v27 is sweet !

(also like Conap's CELBfroyo 1.9)

7. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

Is 2.2 not faster than 2.1 root?

8. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Eh. Most all the speed optimizations in 2.2 dont apply to the eris anyway, as theyre written for ARMv7 compliant processors, which the Eris does not have.

Im sure theres SOME speed increase, but its not gonna be crazy fast. I think its safe to say that a stock 2.2 eris vs an overclocked 2.1 would end with the 2.1 winning. This is only true for the eris though as most newer phones have the ARMv7 instruction set, so they can fully utilize the speed enhancements.

9. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

How about a 2.2 OC'd vs. a 2.1 OC'd?

10. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

To be honest, XTR 3.0.3 (which is 2.1) feels faster to me than Kaos Froyo (now at V28), which is 2.2, when they are set to OC to the same settings. KF seems to be nicer to my battery, though.

11. rycheme

rycheme Member

I've tried a couple of different ROM's and my favorite is CyanogenTazz, which is 2.2. It's fast and there's no dialer lag :)

12. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Where can I download CyanogenTazz newest version or KoasFroyo's
    I want to root for the first time to a 2.2 Rom using the root for dummies (its true) thread.
    I just hope I am not in over my head.

13. rick311

rick311 Android Enthusiast

that tutorial is sweet. i got root and put kaosfroyo on my eris. runs great. heres the one you asked for:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

good luck brotha!

14. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

ok now you have me wanting KaosFroyo. Would you mind giving me that link?

15. rick311

rick311 Android Enthusiast

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

it'll be a little slow at first. go into the market an download launcher pro. once it's downloaded go to your main screen, hit the home button and select launcher pro as your default. it cuts out A TON of lag!

16. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member

Does any of the 2.2 ROM version that you guys mention here have the capability to upload apps to the sd card because that's one feature that I'm really for? Thanks

17. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Yes, as far as I know,they all do. kaos froyo does for sure. Though, I have to say - I have a lot of apps installed and have not had to move a single app over to SD; there is plenty of free RAM.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews