• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

download from Google Play to desktop PC

>You can't. Your device ID is how they know where to send the app AFAIK.

Well, you probably don't know much. I've gotten free apps from places that are not google. So obviously the device ID is not needed to send anything.

>If you don't like Google, why buy Android? That doesn't compute.

I didn't buy android. I bought a tablet that uses android.

Upvote 0
>You can't. Your device ID is how they know where to send the app AFAIK.

Well, you probably don't know much. I've gotten free apps from places that are not google. So obviously the device ID is not needed to send anything.

>If you don't like Google, why buy Android? That doesn't compute.

I didn't buy android. I bought a tablet that uses android.

I was talking about when you get apps from the Google Play Store. They need your device ID to push the app direct to your phone from Google servers. Getting apps from other places is a good way of getting malware that steal your information fron your device, like passwords, bank data, etc.

You bought a tablet that uses Android, and yet you do not want Google, that's basically what I'm saying. You dont like Google but you bought something using an OS that Google made. Doesn't make sense IMO. But hey, it's your money.

Upvote 0
>They need your device ID to push the app direct to your phone from Google servers.

No they don't. When you get an app from google play you are simply downloading a file. No ID is needed in order to download files. It doesn't matter if you are transferring a file from google servers to a PC running windows, to a PC running linux, to a tablet running android, or whatever. It's just FTP.

>Getting apps from other places is a good way of getting malware

That is a possibility but the risk can be minimized if you download from reputable sites.

>You dont like Google but you bought something using an OS that Google made.

True - my mistake. I thought android was 'open'/'free' software, and that google was more or less decent company, but they are not. I made a mistake of sorts, but now I'm going to fix it. So, how do I get a fake ID for my tablet?

Upvote 0
>They need your device ID to push the app direct to your phone from Google servers.

No they don't. When you get an app from google play you are simply downloading a file. No ID is needed in order to download files. It doesn't matter if you are transferring a file from google servers to a PC running windows, to a PC running linux, to a tablet running android, or whatever. It's just FTP.

Uh no, getting an app from Google Play is not a simple file download, not if you are doing it from a PC to a phone, because you don't download installers from Play Store to your PC, it doesn't work that way. Clicking install on the Google Play website on your PC pushes the app straight to your phone/tablet. This works even if the device is turned off (turning it on and download will start). They are able to do this by your phone sending specific data to Google play (I think it sends the device ID or maybe some other data) because they need to know its model and hardware configuration and Android version to know if it is compatible with an app.

So basically, the phone sends certain data to Google to identify the device. While yes, Android is open, any manufacturer that is working with the Open Handset Alliance has to play by Google's rules because Google was the one who formed OHA. Anybody can use Android even if they are not part of OHA and can remove Google's presence on the device if they want. The Kindle Fire is a mainstream example, and Aliyun is an example of an Android variant OS that is not governed by Google.

First step to being able to fake your device ID if possible (but I think it is) is to root your device. Anyway, if you don't put a Google account on the device, Google won't be able to detect you I'd think, because you technically won't be "activated" or "registered". You'd be like one of those chinese Androids that can't access Google (and vice versa).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones