1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support DownLoad GPS Assist Data, kills GPS!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ml_nelson, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ml_nelson

ml_nelson Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    I've benn haveing problems with GPS syncing & have traced it to the following on 2 Ally phones (Original & Warranty replacement):

If I use the "GPS Status & Toolbox" app to reset & download a new GPS Assistance data set, GPS now fails to syn for an extended period of time, at least 1/2 hour.

Another observation... If the phone & it GPS are running happily (10 meter accuracy & updating in "Maps" app); then I download GPS Assistance.... real time tracking stops & GPS is useless for 1/2 hour or more. In Maps it actually reports 40 meter accuracy, but it is in fact stuck some arbitraty spot a mile away.

WTF? This uesd to work differently. In the past I would open up "GPS Status & Toolbox", download Assistance data manually & in under a minute, GPS was sync'ed. In fact the app displayed time to sync & it was often something like 45 seconds.

What changed? Is it just me? I had Verizon send a warrany replacement because the GPS appeared essentially broken. A closer look at the behavior of the new phone shows the same goofy behavior.

Confused,
    Mike

Advertisement

2. sterk32

sterk32 Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Michigan
    I always had problems with my Ally finding the location ever since it was brand new. Had the same problem on 2 different Allys. It would always take at least 5 minutes to find my location.

Then I rooted and installed Velocity and it works much better. Here is what I do when it has trouble finding me now.

I downloaded an app called GPSTest Settings. When my GPS wont lock on I open this app, click the menu button and choose settings. Then click clear AGPS, then click Update AGPS. Now exit and go back to google maps or Navigation. Always locks on immediately after I do this.

I havent had the chance to test this process with the Stock LG rom but I would be curious to know how it works.

Good Luck

3. ml_nelson

ml_nelson Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    There are some odd interacion of app's going on here!

The phone has now sat for hours with Maps open & it's not tracking & only showing 2000 meter accuracy. I opened Navigation & in about a minute, it showed a lock & was ready to provide directions.

I then took a look at Maps agan... When Maps initially opens, it has a rough location about 1 mile off, but quickly snaps to an accurate location in about 3 seconds. (Note that before Navigation was started, it would show an arbitrary location a mile away indefinitely).

This interacton of apps & GPS is seriously screwed up.

Mike

4. ml_nelson

ml_nelson Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Is anyone else having GPS problems similar to that described at the begingin of this thread?

Anyone daring enough to try a manual download of GPS Assist data?

5. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    In frunisher velocity 1.1 and now stormdroid, it uses a gps.conf file. Which from alot of testing does actually help it lock on a bit better. not saying rooting and flashing a custom rom will solve the problems, but it may help.

6. PantherVT

PantherVT Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    I used to have the same problem and it drove me bonkers but between Velocity and the GPS status and tool box app I'm locking in about 30 seconds every time. maybe you got a bunk app somehow, trying re-installing it.

Tags: