• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jchtrumpet

Lurker
Jul 31, 2010
I have a quick question--my wife and I both have the Captivate phone and we love them. I tried to download a program away from the android apps page--ereader from ereader.com and was told that the phone was set to not let it download form anything except android app or att apps. Is this right and is there a way to disable it if it is true? I want to download a St. Louis Cardinals baseball app from the Str. Louis Post newspaper and want to know if it will work before I pay for the app. Thanks.

I have a quick question--my wife and I both have the Captivate phone and we love them. I tried to download a program away from the android apps page--ereader from ereader.com and was told that the phone was set to not let it download form anything except android app or att apps. Is this right and is there a way to disable it if it is true? I want to download a St. Louis Cardinals baseball app from the Str. Louis Post newspaper and want to know if it will work before I pay for the app. Thanks.

Att out of the box wont allow you to install apps outside the android store , i believe you can try an app called android central side loader wonder machine, that should allow you to sideload apps or install apps from outside android store. you dont have to root your phone either with that app.

Upvote 0
As others have said AT&T won't allow you to install apps downloaded outside of the market, however it is pretty easy to do, just use the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine mentioned above. All you have to do then is download the apk file to your computer, turn on USB Debugging on your phone (Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging), connect the phone to your computer with the USB cable and the program will do the rest for you. The instructions on what to do are also listed inside the program itself. Before you connect the phone to your computer via USB, you need to download the USB drivers to allow you to connect. I have both the Sideload Wonder Machine and page to get to the USB drivers linked below.

Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

Support for Samsung Captivate? (SGH-i897) SAMSUNG

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones