1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Downloaded a bad kernel and start won't start up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kimchipc3, Sep 2, 2011.

1. kimchipc3

kimchipc3 Lurker

I downloaded a bad kernel and it now it is stuck on the white home screen and we resets to it over and over again. I have tried to wipe the phone, did a factory reset and even tried extract PC36IMG.zip file to my sd card but it would not open. Is there a way of fixing this or do I have to get a new evo? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and solutions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    moved your thread to the rooting section.

can you get to recovery? have you tried a nandroid backup? try wiping dalvik cache and cache.

what rom do you have? and which kernel did you try?

kimchipc3 likes this.
  3. kimchipc3

kimchipc3 Lurker

I've tried all of that as well. I am using rom manager/clockwise I think. I not very knowledgeable about it and I not even sure what kernel I used. All I know is that I got it from kernel manager lite on the app market.

4. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

As a suggestion, avoid the apps like Rom Manager and Kernel Manager.....there are issues that arise from there use on occasion(this may well be one of them). As Ocn ask, can you get to recovery manually? What rom were you running? Do you have a nandroid from before you flashed the kernel?

ocnbrze and kimchipc3 like this.
  5. kimchipc3

kimchipc3 Lurker

I can manually get to recovery and it goes to clockworkmod but I don't know what rom I was using. I have tried the wiping the dalvik cache and nothing happened. Also, I did not have a nandroid before I flashed the kernel. But I'll definitely keep in mind to stay away from rom and kernel manager.

6. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

kimchipc3 and ocnbrze like this.
  7. kimchipc3

kimchipc3 Lurker

I'm a noob at this but I tried extracting that file on my sd card from adapter. Now for this to work, I'm guessing that I have to have my phone pulled into the computer to actually be able to make this work. My question is, when I pull my phone into the computer, how do I put that file on the root because there is no root on my sd card when I checked when I used my adapter.

8. Team420

Team420 Well-Known Member

ROOT, just means the top level, as in... on ur card, but not in any folder. Also... DONT extract anything to ur card... just copy/paste, and flash the .zip file.

ocnbrze, kimchipc3 and DaRayvn like this.
  9. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast

When you put your sd card in the adapter and then put it into your computer, another drive should pop up....when you double click that drive to open it, that is considered the ROOT of your sd card....

ocnbrze and kimchipc3 like this.
  10. kimchipc3

kimchipc3 Lurker

Thank you all for helping me out. I copied and pasted instead of extracting and it worked. I don't really know how this forum works but I will give "thanks" to things you guys post. Thanks again.

11. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast

if anything is said that helps you out, then thanks is all thats needed :D

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews