• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloaded apps

Andy Perrett

Feb 13, 2017
Hi there,
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 with an extra memory sd-card.
Quite a lot of the apps I have installed can be shifted to the sd-card but every now and then (I presume after updates) they get shifted back automaticaly to the main memory.
Is this normal and is there a way to keep them on the sd-card ?
Kind regards, and stay safe.
Andy

Hi there,
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 with an extra memory sd-card.
Quite a lot of the apps I have installed can be shifted to the sd-card but every now and then (I presume after updates) they get shifted back automaticaly to the main memory.
Is this normal and is there a way to keep them on the sd-card ?
Kind regards, and stay safe.
Andy

I had this same issue when I had a phone that allowed apps onto the SD card.

Yes, an update will move the app onto the phone.

Frustrating, isn't it?

In reality, half or less of an app goes onto the card.
And an app loses some functionality and speed as well.

So the best thing to do is to leave the apps on the phone if you have the space to do so.

If you don't have enough space, then you really don't have room for all the apps you want.

You can ditch any app that also has a website that is accessible with your browser.
(Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Uber, etc.)

Also, consider the fact that the lifespan of your SD card is measured in write cycles.

So moving apps back and forth is shortening the useful life of your card.
When they die, it is often quick, without warning, and catastrophic.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones