1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Downloader for Dropbox

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Roze, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I just saw Downloader for Dropbox app in the market and was wondering if anyone else used it and what are your thoughts on it. There's not that many reviews for it and it has been on the market since the beginning of the year. It seems interesting but cautious me isn't tempted to try it with the low reviews. (blames ALP)

Description:

Advertisement

2. ral

ral Android Expert
    None

Reading the description, I am confused as to what it does. This app will let you download entire folders. If I do that will the downloaded files continue to stay sync'ed? Guessing the answer is no.

3. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Yeah...description isn't that great either. Developer seems to be Japanese and doesn't speak English. His site and twitter is all in Japanese.

I want to know if I put a file in a *downloaded* folder on my computer, will it automatically download it to my phone's dropbox.

4. Chuck O. Jones

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Why don't you try it out for yourself? The proof of the pudding is in the eating after all.

5. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I'm a cautious individual I suppose, lol.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

You could probably put a dud folder in your dropbox as a test dummy and try downloading that?

7. Chuck O. Jones

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Sounds more like you want to get somebody else's recommendation because it's comfortable to not have to make your own decision (and be responsible for the consequences).

Another's recommendation is just that: another's recommendation. It works for him/her. Not necessarily for you: you're in a different situation.

8. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    ... or, it could be that he is just asking if anyone had tried it. Peer review is a powerful tool. :)

He's doing what we all do in the Android community.

9. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Thanks Tre Lawrence for understanding my question :)

Chuck, had I wanted someone to just used the app and tell me if it's good or not, I wouldn't have bother with making a thread. I'd PM one of the guys I know to 'test' out the app for me. Fast, easy and simple. I said that there's not that many reviews out there. The only reviews are on the market, which is a total of 8. Half of the reviews are great, the other half aren't. The app has been on the market since the beginning of the year. 8 months and only 8 reviews? It makes you wonder does it not? Doing a Google search brings up really nothing other than the market and the dev's site. This thread is the 4th result that Google found. As I mentioned, the dev is Japanese and his site and twitter is useless to me as they are both in Japanes. I've emailed him and he has not responded to my email inquiry on his app.

I was taught by a knowledgeable Android developer to be cautious of what I download when I first got my Android phone. I find the app interesting but due to the lack of everything (reviews/description/dev's response), I do not trust the app. All I'm asking is if anyone has used the app and what their thought is. I'm sorry asking such a question makes me 'not responsible for my decision'. If you look at all the steps I've taken prior to downloading any apps (I do the steps mentioned above for EVERY app I download AND update), then you will SEE that I take my app responsibility very seriously. Don't mix being cautious as being irresponsible.

A recommendation gives me more information that I can use, analyze and decide if I want to download the app or not. It is a tool that I heavily use when I am looking for apps.

10. olrowdy01

olrowdy01 Lurker
    None

I've been using Dropbox for over a year on my PCs. Basically they give you 2 GB of free storage space in the cloud. There's no tricks or anything out of the ordinary in using the program. You just treat it as another other folder on any of your computers. When you add/delete/change any file in the folder it is changed on your other computers in a few moments.

I have a website about my home built sports car and one page describes some of the free software that I use. I give a short review of what/how Dropbox works on a PC. I assume it works the same on an android.

I have a link in my review free-stuff that you can use it to download the program to your PC which will give you and me an extra 250 MB of storage space when you activate it.

My link is probably not tied to the mobile phone version though. I'm pretty sure that if you first download the software using my link to your PC, create the account and then download the mobile version to your phone that all will work OK.

When you are activating the account on the phone just tell the program you already have an account (which you just created on the PC) and both of us will have some extra free storage space. TNX

[edit]
    If my Droid would quit pressing buttons for me and allow me to use it I would download Dropbox into it with no hesitation.

11. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    @olrowdy

I have been using Dropbox for over a year now :) 'Downloader for Dropbox' is ad add on made by another developer, not by Dropbox.

12. olrowdy01

olrowdy01 Lurker
    None

I checked it out and downloader for Dropbox is just that (a link to download Dropbox). If you go to the android "Downloader for Dropbox" site and click on Visit Developer's Website you will end up at the home page of https://www.dropbox.com/.

From there you can create an account and download a version of Dropbox for PCs or various smart phones. I was just trying to show how someone could get an extra 250 MB of free storage by using my link to the actual website instead.

13. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

He's talking about an app. He already has a dropbox account.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=org.terukusu.dropboxdownloader&feature=search_result

He wont be clicking developer's site, he will be installing the application on his phone. When he opens the app on his phone, he will be able to browse and download from dropbox on his phone. Downloader for dropbox is not made to download dropbox to your PC. Its made to download the contents of your dropbox contents to your phone.

14. olrowdy01

olrowdy01 Lurker
    None

Yep. I didn't say that DFD was going to download Dropbox only to your PC.

I did find that it had a link to the Dropbox home page where you could download Dropbox to your PC -or- your phone. So that made it appear to my quick glance that it was just a down loader for the Dropbox program itself.

I thought he wanted a brief review of what Dropbox does. Sorry 'bout that.

[Edit]
    I use Astro on my un-rooted Droid to look at the folders so I really wouldn't need DFD. I would need to download Dropbox for the android onto my phone though.