• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Downloaders remorse

Ally Droid

Lurker
Nov 2, 2010
Hi yall, first post here and banging my head against the table!

I use tweetcaster as my twitter app and the makers tweeted about a new TV app that was available called videocaster. I got all excited and decided to download it. TV at work, weeeeeee! The only problem is, it is not available in the market, but on some website called webjar. In my haste, I downloaded it and then gave the phone permission to install 'off market' apps (or whatever they call it). After doing so, I started to get a sinking feeling. What if I just gave some hacker all my info? I panicked, uninstalled it and did a factory reset. Do you think this is enough to get it off my phone or can an off market app alter the os in a way that a reset won't erase the change? Help put my mind at ease or tell me how to go about fixing it. Help! Please :)

You need to erase all of credit cards

Burn your cellphone

Light your house in flames

Move in the forest

Stay off of the grid for 10 or so years

-Good luck

*real advice*

Do not fear for your personal info ;)

Chances are you didn't do anything bad, but in the rare situation that you did they could aquire info if say and you logged into a bunch of different sites then you should worry (I say this because it could [and very rarely {and I mean rare}, if anything] be a keylogger)

You shouldn't have anything to worry about though and if any activity shows up on your accounts you can always contact the main sorces and request a password reset. I would actually say you over reacted... :p

Now I will say in big friendly letters

Don't Panic

Upvote 0
There is a App in the Market called "Lookout"
Its a security app that has several features such as Virus scanning Apps, Backup Ability and there is a tool to track your phone when you loose it or when stolen, you can also have it "Sound an Alarm" (Beeps REALLY Loud). Its great if you cant find your phone.

Anyway Im not sure how good the security is on it because from what we know there is only 2-3 viruses for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones