• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Downloading Apps from App store when I don't have data plan

bibsoconner

Lurker
Aug 14, 2011
I have the Xperia X-8 from Sony Ericsson and no data plan (voice only). I do have access to the internet through my wireless internet router at home (and at work). When I go to the Market App (labelled "Market" on my phone), it asks me to register with my existing Google account. After about 4 minutes I get the following message:

Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server.
This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continutes, call Customer Care.

The message seems to be hinting that I need a data plan. Is that true? I'd think that I could get to the app store through the internet. I did find this link:
Guide: Using Android Without a Data Plan - Getting Apps, Moving Contacts, and More - xda-developers
and can follow the steps if necessary. It seems like overkill though. I thought there were Android devices that didn't even have phone service? How do they get apps?

Thanks,
Dave

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones