1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Downloading data (animated)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kah22, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kah22

kah22 Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I suppose this is two questions for the price of one. Background: this is my first Smart Phone, first Wildfire S and I'm just getting to know it.

Anyway I'm looking at the screen and see two of the symbols which indicate 'Downloading data (animated).' I also see the letters htchtc

Trouble is I don't actually know what these mean. Does the 'Downloading data (animated)' mean I'm downloading data at this point in time. While getting to know the phone I may have started a download, but if I did I didn't mean to, so how do I check what, if anything, is downloading.

That brings me onto the second part of my question. I have Wi-Fi enabled and that's what I want to use but can I disable the 3G type downloads so I don't accidentally start using up the minimum data allowance my provider has given me 250mb a month

Many thanks for any advice given.

Kevin

Advertisement

2. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    If you press the onscreen button on your homescreen that looks like a paintbrush and pallet, then select widget, then select settings, then select data dashboard (make sure you are on a screen that has enough space for it) You get a nice widget that lets you manage wifi and mobile data

3. Hexx

Hexx Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Java and .Net Developer
    Hi,

When a mobile data connection is available, depending upon what is available you'll likely to see either an H, G or 3G symbol in the top bar. If the little up and down arrows are flashing, then data is being transferred and will be using some of your data allowance. if you see a little green htc in the bar, this indicates that there is something new in the HTC hub for you to look at.

You can switch off mobile data if you don't want to sapping your allowance - swipe your finger from the top to the bottom of the screen to bring down the notification bar and click on the Quick Settings tab. You'll then see a series of check boxes - if you un-tick the Mobile Network option, you'll allowance will be safe :)

Ben.