1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Downloading data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hotrod4x5, May 23, 2011.

1. hotrod4x5

hotrod4x5 Member

I am a complete newb to Android. I opted for the 200mb data plan, so I am trying to really watch what I do, and do all my ap downloads on my wifi at home.

If I am playing a game that is online, say blackjack, and I leave the game to do some texting or make a phone call, how can I know that I am not still using data?

Do I go to the task manager and make sure the task is ended?

I did install a third party task manager that sits on the home screen and I tap it and it ends tasks. (I read that would help with battery life) But I am still worried about using data when I don't really want to.

I know I can hold down the power button and turn data off, but that also disables texting. How can I make sure no aps are using data without my knowing? Just kill them in Task Manager?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

turning the data off does not disable texting. i have the 200mb plan also and i leave my data off unless i need it so i know i will have it. you will have to turn the data back on to be able to download mms though

3. hotrod4x5

hotrod4x5 Member

Oh it doesn't? I turned it off via the power button and then I tried to use the speech to text option to send my message and it said not available. So does the speech to text use data?

I wonder if that is why my data usage is much higher than I expected?!?

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

yes text to speech does use it. it has to have the data connection to translate what you are saying to it. im not sure how much data it would use though because ive never used it

5. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

I highly reccomend an ap called 3G Watchdog. It will monitor your 3G usage for you so you can just keep an eye on it to see how you are vs. your quota. The paid version will tell which which apps are using how much data.

hotrod4x5 likes this.
  6. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast

Not to mention, there is also an AT&T specific app on the market place that specifically helps you watch your data. Plus--you can see how much data you've used at any time through instant text message, by calling "AT&T View My Data Usage," a contact that should be saved on your phone stock.

7. hotrod4x5

hotrod4x5 Member

I've been calling for that text message every day about the same time, helps me keep track of what I've used and how much data different aps take.

8. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree! It may be really basic but its honestly more helpful & precise than any data tracking app you could ever download.

9. Usil

Usil Newbie

Yes, using the AT&T app or sms messaging at a minimum tells you what AT&T thinks you are using. 3G watchdog is a good app for approximate data usage, but I wouldn't bet my bill on it!

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews