• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading movies with great quality???

jg3952

Lurker
Aug 6, 2010
I have "handbreak, dvdfab, and dvd shrink". Ive been messing around with all 3 programs to put movies on my phone to get great screen quality. I think i like "Dvdfab" best but i see alot of people like handbreak. my question is:

1. which program is best/easiest to use?
2. Should i be using DVD to Ipod/Iphone?
3. What should i set the screen res at? (and/or aspect ratio)
4. Should i lower the movie size or does it not matter?

I dont mind using up storage space but i cant seem to get a great picture quality when i finaly get them on my phone, even when i adjust that icon on the lower right hand side to change the viewing size. Any suggestions...

I used Handbrake and manually set the resolution to as close to 800x400 as I can get. It makes it easy since it keeps the original aspect ratio intact, but you usually have to play around with the numbers until you find one that works for some reason. One of the axis won't probably match precisely, but you don't see black bars on this display even though they may exist. I have been extremely happy with the results.

Upvote 0
Yeah I played around with a bunch and settled on Handbrake. Was happy once I learned the trick to get a proper full-width video at native aspect-ratio.

Right now I'm experimenting with HB's myraid of video quality tweaks to find the right balance between encode time, video quality and file size. I used vobblank(er?) to extract a single 5-minute VOB from a DVD that I can use to experiment on so that every test doesn't require encoding the entire DVD.

Upvote 0
You can also just stop Handbrake in mid encode and it'll just stop there, I've been doing that trying to get a dvd on the right settings (for some reason sound wasn't encoding) now I let it run for a minute then cancel it and have a look. I'll see if I can get some "exact" numbers that might be helpful as a standard setting. I love how Samsung are all like "oh look at this awesome phone, you can watch HD movies on it and they look supersugarawesome...how you do this? Meh, figure it out"

Upvote 0
I put a copy of Avatar on mine. It looks really nice, but has a choppyness that I don't get when viewing on the pc. I used handbrake, but I don't feel like re trying a million times. If you guys figure it out post the settings you used please :)

My theory is that some Handbrake settings are only more-demanding on the encode phase, while upping/enabling other settings actually puts more load on the decoder (the Captivate). It's quite possible that loading the decoder too high causes it to not be able to keep up.

I'm not clear on what settings are which yet, however.

It's also possible that the Captivate can only handle decoding video up to a certain maximum MB/s throughput.

My first attempt at setting "ideal" quality settings (on Avatar, as a matter of fact) resulted in a video that took almost 2 days to encode, was about 2.5GB in size, and looked beautiful and played back smooth but the audio wasn't quite in-sync.

Upvote 0
Kind of makes you wonder what those Samsung people were playing on the adverts and how they got it on there doesn't it :p
Usually in advertisements the screens on devices are "simulated".

But there are plenty of videos available for download which apparently are various Samsung demo videos. I've installed a bunch and they play perfectly and look beautiful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones